Nazi train with 300 tonnes of gold found?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
Two people in Poland say they may have found a Nazi train rumoured to be full of gold, gems and guns that disappeared in World War Two, Polish media say.

The train is believed to have gone missing near what is now the Polish city of Wroclaw as Soviet forces approached in 1945.

A law firm in south-west Poland says it has been contacted by two men who have discovered the armoured train.

Polish media say the men want 10% of the value of the train's contents.
Two news websites in Walbrzych said the train that was found had guns on turrets along its side. One website, walbrzych24.com, said (in Polish) that one of the men was Polish and the other German.

They were liaising with officials in the city, who have since formed an emergency committee led by the mayor to investigate the claims, the website says.

Another site, Wiadomosci Walbrzyskie, said (in Polish) the train was 150m long and may have up to 300 tonnes of gold on board.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33994483

300 tonnes = 9,645,223.97 troy ounces = $11,084,291,386.32

hope they've had some away to ensure they get to benefit.
Those Germans will insist on it being repatriated as its obviously theirs (-;

Better left on a train in Poland than entrusted to the Fed

"people in Poland say they may have found a Nazi train rumoured to be full of gold"

So many possibilities for jokes of a politically incorrect nature in that line alone my head is spinning.

Let's see, Nazi Germany gold, probably mostly stolen from Jews all over Europe, found in Poland near the Czech border. I don't foresee any squabbles resulting from this.

BTW, I looked up the value of the gold, assuming it is metric tons being referred to in the story = just shy of 9,645,224 troy ounces. At today's value of around $1125/ozt that puts the scrap value of the gold at $10,850,877,000. How long till Vlad the invader puts his claim on nearly $11 billion in nazi gold?

Never mind, just noticed PM Bug did the same at the bottom of the OP, pretty much the same price as when posted a week ago too.

Last edited:
I just read on a site that the gold might not be on the train after all, and it might just be old military crap, but that may just be a cover.

This is not the gold you are looking for. /waves hand in air

It would be cool it this is the long lost amber room. I would really like to see it put back together.

Sounds like quite a bit of time and effort is being invested in this project. Who is funding it?

Sounds like quite a bit of time and effort is being invested in this project. Who is funding it?

Sounds like it might be a professional treasure hunter.

"The treasure hunter team, led by Piotr Koper from Walbrzych, Poland, and Andreas Richter from Germany, have been looking for the train for over four years. The hunt for the train was stopped in December 2015 after a press conference in which it was announced by experts that there was no evidence of a train but has now resumed in earnest."

If they find a train full of goodies, especially like the parts to the amber room, and the Poles want to keep it, things could get ugly fast.

"WARSAW, Poland -- Explorers’ great hopes for finding a legendary Nazi “gold train” in Poland appeared dashed Wednesday when, after digging extensively, they admitted they have found “no train, no tunnel” at the site."

Sounds like something they might say if they really did find a train full of gold... :snidely:

While, i agree with that, there are so many eyes on that site that if they aren't taking anything out of that tunnel bigger than they could smuggle into a prison without a whole lot of people knowing about it.

Back
Top Bottom