Proposed Texas legislation: gold bullion repository

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

North Carolina considering converting some savings funds to gold and storing it in the Texas depository:
A group of House Republicans filed a bill in mid-April that would have the state use $2 billion from its savings reserve to buy gold bullion. The bill sat idle in the House Appropriations Committee until Thursday, when it was sent to the Committee on State Government. It’s set for a committee hearing Wednesday.

Rep. Mark Brody, the bill’s lead sponsor, said in an email last week that the value of the gold proposed for purchase will be lowered to $400 million to $500 million in a revised bill. House bill 721 proposes to store North Carolina’s gold in a bullion depository the state of Texas created in 2015. Deposits were stored in Austin until a new facility opened outside the city in 2020.

Dissatisfaction with the Federal Reserve is at the heart of the North Carolina bill.

“The reason – the federal government is consistently and increasingly devaluing our currency,” Brody said in his email. “To begin to set aside an amount of physical gold over a number of years will put NC in a better financial position should the devaluing process turn into hyperinflation.”

Under the bill, North Carolina’s gold would be stored in Texas while the state Treasurer studies the cost and benefits of establishing a North Carolina-administered bullion depository. The gold would be moved from Texas if North Carolina establishes its own vault or if it needs to be sold to help North Carolina pay its bills.

I'm certainly in favor of this, but the really interesting part will be the reaction of the fed when they see gold leaving their vault.

Assuming there is any gold there to take back...

:paperbag:

I remember when Germany wished to repatriate their gold that was supposedly being held in New York. They were told "no". Then they asked if they could at least see it. They were told "no" again. I think it was around 2013 when Germany asked for it back and it wasn't until 2017 that they finally received it.

... I think it was around 2013 when Germany asked for it back and it wasn't until 2017 that they finally received it.

I went looking for updates this morning...

Tennessee might end up with their own depository: ...

Tennessee's bullion depository bill in the state House was renumbered (HB1480) and deferred until next year. The companion bill in the state Senate (SB0150) is waiting for a committee to process it.

Tennessee did manage to pass (and the Governor signed it) HB1479 which allows the State to buy and sell physical gold and precious metals and store them "at the state depository."

North Carolina considering converting some savings funds to gold and storing it in the Texas depository: ...

HB721 passed the state House and is awaiting consideration in a state Senate committee.

Back
Top Bottom