Is there such a thing as "24 karat gold jewelry"?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Potemkin

Predaceous Stink Bug
Reaction score
Hi,

It might sound a bit naive, but I think there is no such thing as "24 k gold jewelry". There must be esomething else in it, because gold is so soft, it would break, deform.

Right?

I'm asking, because I constantly hear and read it here and there... "24 karat gold jewelry". Well, I guess it's probably not more pure than Gold Eagle coins, which are 22 k or 91.67 %...

I haven't seen it personally, but I wouldn't be surprised if it existed somewhere. I would think 22K would be more desirable for a high gold content jewelry - at least for jewelry that anyone is actually going to wear/use.

24 karat jewelry does exist, but it's not common because it's too soft as you said. Jewelry stores like to have 24 karat in the name and on their signs because everyone knows 24 is better than 18, right? I mean, who would go to "18K Gold Store", if there is 24K down the street?

If you put a maple leaf in a pendant I think that might qualify as 24K but the chain would need to be 18K or you won't have it for long.

It might exist in asian countries. Seen lots of very yellow jewelry on older asian women, e.g. my wife's grandmother.

My father was stationed in Vietnam when I was born, and was apparently very popular among the local Chinese population. To acknowledge my birth, we received many thin gold plaques with my name embossed on them.

When the embassy shut down, we had to leave in a hurry, and my parents pressed all the gold plates into a gold ball the size of a golf ball. It's still in my parents house somewhere. I'll ask to see it the next time I visit.

24 karat jewelry does exist, but it's not common because it's too soft as you said. Jewelry stores like to have 24 karat in the name and on their signs because everyone knows 24 is better than 18, right? I mean, who would go to "18K Gold Store", if there is 24K down the street?

Right...

I see it all the time, I hear it all the time. Even from friends and family: 24 k, 24 k, 24 k and I keep telling them "it's nuts, there is not such thing, gold is too soft"...

Just check the stamp on the jewelry in question.

hallmarks.gif

If there is no stamp, it came from a gumball machine :D

It might exist in asian countries. Seen lots of very yellow jewelry on older asian women, e.g. my wife's grandmother.

My father was stationed in Vietnam when I was born, and was apparently very popular among the local Chinese population. To acknowledge my birth, we received many thin gold plaques with my name embossed on them.

When the embassy shut down, we had to leave in a hurry, and my parents pressed all the gold plates into a gold ball the size of a golf ball. It's still in my parents house somewhere. I'll ask to see it the next time I visit.

not related to 24k gold, but when Bing and I got married, as part of the ceremony they gave us 13 gold pesos. (13 is a lucky number there). 7 is unlucky.

not related to 24k gold, but when Bing and I got married, as part of the ceremony they gave us 13 gold pesos. (13 is a lucky number there). 7 is unlucky.
If somebody gave me 7 gold coins I would be feeling lucky :wave:

24K gold is found in Indian, Somali and Chinese Markets

In India, China, Somalia and Arab countries gold jewelry is used like money. So you can find in those cities a gold trading district with jewelry stores that sell 21K and 24K gold jewelry.

The purity is pretty reliable, and they test it with acid to be sure. In the Americas you can find that kind of jewelry in China Town of most major cities.

Back
Top Bottom