Peak Wealth?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

DoChenRollingBearing

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score

I have lately read a bunch of articles that at least on a tangent deal with this idea of "Peak Wealth", that is, the likelihood that we will not be getting any richer...

-- Stocks near all-time highs (so maybe not much more room to run?)
-- Demographics (Harry S. Dent, Jr. has a new book out that I am reading)
-- Obamacare at the mall?
-- BRICs won't save us...

A very pretty new Rolex watch has just come out though, verrrry expensive......

"Peak Wealth?"

http://tinyurl.com/ny475e6

Well at least silver is staying around and under $20/ozt so I will just keep stacking until the fools realize what real money looks like. (hint - you can't destroy it with your bic)

We passed the point of peak wealth in the U.S. long ago. ALL new wealth comes from the ground (oil, ore, food, etc) and we have long since quit generating new wealth. By destroying our cropland, capping our wells, shutting down our mines, etc we have been shooting ourselves in the feet for decades.

No one produces anything any more. All we do is keep shuffling what little wealth there is back and forth amongst us. And every shuffle sees the government take then waste a little more of it. Eventually, there is not enough wealth left at which time the money presses start running full speed to keep the illusion going that we still have wealth.

Guess where we are today in that timeline. Yup. The presses are running, proof positive that there is no significant wealth left.

The solution? Cut government by at least 90% where ONLY ESSENTIAL services are left. That would force millions and millions of government parasites, both public and private, to either start producing wealth again, or die. Harsh? Yes. Unfortunately, any other so-called solution in the long run is even more harsh.

We got along fine for hundreds of years without government welfare, government schools, government this, government that, and in the process became the richest nation in history where everyone, even the poorest American, was richer by far than even the rich of the rest of the world.

All government has done is to take it all away from us. And we have allowed it to happen.

Ronald Reagan (1986) said:
Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases:

If it moves, tax it.
If it keeps moving, regulate it.
If it stops moving, subsidize it.

We passed the point of peak wealth in the U.S. long ago. ALL new wealth comes from the ground (oil, ore, food, etc) and we have long since quit generating new wealth. By destroying our cropland, capping our wells, shutting down our mines, etc we have been shooting ourselves in the feet for decades.

No one produces anything any more. All we do is keep shuffling what little wealth there is back and forth amongst us. And every shuffle sees the government take then waste a little more of it. Eventually, there is not enough wealth left at which time the money presses start running full speed to keep the illusion going that we still have wealth.

Guess where we are today in that timeline. Yup. The presses are running, proof positive that there is no significant wealth left.

The solution? Cut government by at least 90% where ONLY ESSENTIAL services are left. That would force millions and millions of government parasites, both public and private, to either start producing wealth again, or die. Harsh? Yes. Unfortunately, any other so-called solution in the long run is even more harsh.

We got along fine for hundreds of years without government welfare, government schools, government this, government that, and in the process became the richest nation in history where everyone, even the poorest American, was richer by far than even the rich of the rest of the world.

All government has done is to take it all away from us. And we have allowed it to happen.

It could get turned around though and it really wouldn't be that hard. We are drilling, BABY drilling up here, and they just started tapping into a similar formation in TX too and they aren't afraid to drill down there like they are in CA, AK, PA, NY, etc. If they just started cutting govt. by getting rid of the EPA or at least reigned it in a whole bunch, things in this country would take off like an Apollo rocket.

I've always liked that Reagan quote of the liberal philosophy but I thought it should be tweaked just a bit to be more accurate. "If something is just sitting there, tax it! If it starts moving tax it more! If it keeps moving, regulate it, and if it stops moving subsidize it, if it starts moving too fast penalize it!"

It could get turned around though and it really wouldn't be that hard. We are drilling, BABY drilling up here, and they just started tapping into a similar formation in TX too and they aren't afraid to drill down there like they are in CA, AK, PA, NY, etc. If they just started cutting govt. by getting rid of the EPA or at least reigned it in a whole bunch, things in this country would take off like an Apollo rocket.

I've always liked that Reagan quote of the liberal philosophy but I thought it should be tweaked just a bit to be more accurate. "If something is just sitting there, tax it! If it starts moving tax it more! If it keeps moving, regulate it, and if it stops moving subsidize it, if it starts moving too fast penalize it!"

yep, and then all of California can move into your neighborhood and mine, here in TX. How DO you have infinite growth in a finite world, anyway?

yep, and then all of California can move into your neighborhood and mine, here in TX. How DO you have infinite growth in a finite world, anyway?

LOL, you clearly don't know what the climate is like here in N.D. 40 million people aren't going to leave their precious warm weather to move to the land of negative temps for highs during the winter. Our population has exploded from just over 600K in Y2K to just over 700K by current estimates. It's leveling off now, mostly cause they can't ship the oil fast enough so they are cutting down on the drilling and pumping until either a pipeline gets built or they add more rail capacity. Once kali starts losing enough people and goes bankrupt then they will probably finally start drilling their way out of the hole as well.

Back
Top Bottom