VISA/Mastercard exclude Russian banks

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Potemkin

Predaceous Stink Bug
Reaction score
The fact that VISA and Mastercard have resorted to such a drastic sanction (excluding Russian banks from their system) is a strong sign of a major financial war between the West and Russia.

Russia is creating their own internal system now and they are expected to 'take revenge':
http://www.primevalues.org/market-watch/visa-mastercard-russia-financial-warfare.htm

They have a lot of gas, petrol, own a bunch of dollars that they could get rid of and so on and so forth...

More so: this might bring the BRICs together and only God knows what they'll do to the dollar and the euro.

I don't know why they attacked Russia with this. It seems dangerous.

I think there's a lot more damage that Russia can do to Europe's and the United States' economy...

What do you think?

I think Obama is messing around with the wrong cholo on this one. We have zero jurisdiction there and absolutely no compelling national security interest. This can and will end badly.

They are making the BRICs mad now and they'll kick back!

China-Russia have enough reasons now to team up, the other two might still fear the west or something... but if the 4 BRICs are together, they can rule.

I don't think bugging Russia right now is a good idea, I can't see why the west isn't a bit more careful.

I'm with Potemkin on this one. Russia was minding their own business when the people of the Ukraine voted to not join the EU, which pissed off their would-be masters, so they stepped in. After stirring the pot, and getting called out on it when someone leaked some e-mails that spelled it right out, we shifted gears. Now, the separatists are called terrorists and have been painted as the bad guys. Even though the Crimean population voted overwhelmingly to secede from Ukraine and bind themselves back to Russia. The Eurocrats didn't like that so now they're poking Russia with a stick and hoping Putin backs off. Fat chance of that happening.

You see my friends, it's only democracy if the USA says it is, and until then, it's terrorism. Get it now?

They are making the BRICs mad now and they'll kick back!

I don't think bugging Russia right now is a good idea, I can't see why the west isn't a bit more careful.

It is NEVER wise to stir up a bear from a position of WEAKNESS. The bear will ALWAYS win.

The Eurocrats didn't like that so now they're poking Russia with a stick and hoping Putin backs off. Fat chance of that happening.

Russia will not back off. They know history and they know what will happen if they do back off. The bloodiest lands in the world are the countries that lie between Russia and Germany. Russia and Germany have been fighting over that territory for CENTURIES and it WILL happen again. Putin KNOWS that. He knows that if he does not control that territory, Germany will, and Germany will do what Germany has ALWAYS done - go to war against Russia.

Controlling that territory gives Moscow a 500 mile buffer against any shenanigans that Germany is currently concocting. That is enough buffer where any attacker can be delayed long enough for the Russian winter to set in. Napoleon discovered that the hard way by losing almost all of his troops.

Unfortunately, there is no one in the U.S. government, and damn few of the general public, that knows history and knows that those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

You are watching history repeat. Soon blood will again spill there when Germany and Russia go at it again. Putin knows that it WILL eventually happen, so he is doing what he can to give Moscow breathing room when it does happen. Only this time, Russia is more likely to come out on top, mainly because now China et alia have Russia's back and can supply material and manpower from the East. In the past Russia has had to go it alone. Not so this time.

Look at the US dollar today. Lowest since october 2011 on the UUP etf.

Back
Top Bottom