Hi-point carbine?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

11C1P

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
United-States
Read an article on this company and its guns a couple weeks ago and was thinking about picking up one as they even make them in the same caliber as my edc gun .40 S&W and I could get one delivered with tax and all for under $300. This would not be any sort of home/primary defense weapon nor would I use it for hunting. It would be more for plinking or as an extra cap buster post SHTF in something I have lots and lots of ammo for. Anyone have any experience with them? I've read mostly good stuff about them for their price point at least. Most of the reviews I've read are short term tests, I'd like to know if anyone has any long term experience with them? Thanks for any info.

Can't help you on the Hi-point I've never shot one. I do have a Beretta storm carbine in 9mm. it uses the same mags as my 92. Throw on a red dot and some 30 rd. mags. and get ready to have fun. It always gets the most use at the range, everybody wants to have a turn with it.

I don't know anything about that specific firearm, but Hi-point has been around for a while and is generally respected for quality products as far as I know.

There are pros and cons to every choice of handgun and long gun and cartridge combinations.

The idea of having a rifle/carbine and a handgun chambered in the same caliber is appealing from a logistical standpoint. It's even better if they share the same magazines such as the Beretta Storm and the Model 92 pistol. (The 40S&W versions do the same.) Makes things a lot easier planning for range trips or packing out for an extended trip (e.g., SHTF Zombie Apocalypse Chinese Invasion). AND they are generally fun to shoot.

However a pistol carbine comes up short in the long-range shooting department. If you really need to reach out and touch something/someone further away than about 150-200 yards, the pistol round is not the best choice. At this point you have to go to a real rifle round, usually starting at the 5.56mm/.223. But at this point you almost always end up with two types of ammo and have to plan your load-out a little more carefully.

But going back to the OPs original point(s), the Hi-Point carbine would be a good choice for his stated intentions and would serve him well.

But going back to the OPs original point(s), the Hi-Point carbine would be a good choice for his stated intentions and would serve him well.

Well even though it took a while to get to the point, It's nice that you could help. how has yours held up over the years? I've heard of problems with the high cap mags in the 9mm version do you use high cap mags and if so have you had any problems?

Actually I do not have a Hi-Point, did not mean to mislead you. I have heard many good things about them tho. I did have a Beretta Storm many years ago (when I had a couple of Beretta 92's also) and liked it a lot. But my Berettas did not really meet any needs for me and I sold/traded them away for items that did.

I still think that a rifle and pistol combination in the same caliber does have it's merits and I do have two Ruger Vacqueros and a Marlin 1894 in .44 magnum to scratch that itch.

Actually I do not have a Hi-Point, did not mean to mislead you. I have heard many good things about them tho. I did have a Beretta Storm many years ago (when I had a couple of Beretta 92's also) and liked it a lot. But my Berettas did not really meet any needs for me and I sold/traded them away for items that did.

I still think that a rifle and pistol combination in the same caliber does have it's merits and I do have two Ruger Vacqueros and a Marlin 1894 in .44 magnum to scratch that itch.

So you typed a paragraph of superfluous stuff then finally gave a recommendation based on stuff you read on the internet? Thanks!

So you typed a paragraph of superfluous stuff then finally gave a recommendation based on stuff you read on the internet? Thanks!

Actually, most of my opinions on this have been based on many years of studying firearms and shooting, talking with FFLs and others who have owned these and other firearms I have not owned in order to get a sense of the relative merits and possible problems with as many brands as I can.

Yeah, the rest of my advice (and guidance) was offered. Free of charge.

:wave:

Read an article on this company and its guns a couple weeks ago and was thinking about picking up one as they even make them in the same caliber as my edc gun .40 S&W and I could get one delivered with tax and all for under $300. This would not be any sort of home/primary defense weapon nor would I use it for hunting. It would be more for plinking or as an extra cap buster post SHTF in something I have lots and lots of ammo for. Anyone have any experience with them? I've read mostly good stuff about them for their price point at least. Most of the reviews I've read are short term tests, I'd like to know if anyone has any long term experience with them? Thanks for any info.

Went and shot my friends HP .40 a little while back. It was fun. Cheap gun, excellent reputation for service. They call it the drug dealers gun here.

Went and shot my friends HP .40 a little while back. It was fun. Cheap gun, excellent reputation for service. They call it the drug dealers gun here.

Must be poor drug dealers now. Back in the 80's it was full auto mac-10's & UZI's.

Must be poor drug dealers now. Back in the 80's it was full auto mac-10's & UZI's.

got my bikes tuned for ten years at Marks Motorcycles and Machine Guns in St. Petersburg, Florida. (Since the ATF got him, he's just Marks Motorcycles now). He said he sold 1500 Mac 10's and Tec 9's in one month in St. Pete. (His T-Shirt said Marks Motorcycles and Machine Guns, Arming the Southside For You). His best clients were drug dealers; they all rode unibody mopeds which broke and had to be replaced when dropped. And this was the eighties.

Last edited:
I'd like to own a full auto, but I don't like the idea that the ATF can roll up on you 24/7 and lay in a total up and down search of your entire place, even if you only have one weapon. Class three license carries with it a hell of a lot of responsibility that I pretty much don't want to carry. I don't even want to know what the insurance costs. I own a little Tec-9 that's semi auto 9mm, and is pretty useless beyond around 15 - 17 feet, but man is it fun to shoot! My daughter and I traded an old, fairly worn out .223 16" upper for it four years ago at a gun show and never looked back. The guy who owned it told us he bought it new, put five or six mags through it and simply didn't like it. He said he tossed it in his safe and there it sat, un-cleaned for a lot of years. Not sure if I believed him, except about not being clean that is, but it was in perfect condition, except for a long scratch on one mag and a pretty good ding on the trigger guard.

I'd like to own a full auto, but I don't like the idea that the ATF can roll up on you 24/7 and lay in a total up and down search of your entire place, even if you only have one weapon. Class three license carries with it a hell of a lot of responsibility that I pretty much don't want to carry. I don't even want to know what the insurance costs. I own a little Tec-9 that's semi auto 9mm, and is pretty useless beyond around 15 - 17 feet, but man is it fun to shoot! My daughter and I traded an old, fairly worn out .223 16" upper for it four years ago at a gun show and never looked back. The guy who owned it told us he bought it new, put five or six mags through it and simply didn't like it. He said he tossed it in his safe and there it sat, un-cleaned for a lot of years. Not sure if I believed him, except about not being clean that is, but it was in perfect condition, except for a long scratch on one mag and a pretty good ding on the trigger guard.

think its the same for the silencer stamp

The suppressor stamp is [I think] two hundred bucks. I don't think it's subject to anything approaching the scrutiny that a Class Three is. What I do know is that each suppressor is unique to the weapon for which it is assigned. That is to say if the weapon is sold, the suppressor is to be removed, the ATF notified and a new stamp paid for so it can be placed on another weapon, or the suppressor destroyed [I think]. I'm pretty sure you can't just own a suppressor and have it sitting loose in your gun case waiting to put on whichever threaded barrel you happen to have.

I think with the suppressor you have to be able to produce it on demand, so I don't know if that means even if you produce it they can still search your house. I don't know how the full auto ownership stuff is worded, but you'd think if you can produce it that should be good enough, but the ATF and FBI aren't known for being kind, understanding or fair minded in any way what so ever.

So I figured I'd give an update. I ordered a carbine through the gallery of guns last April, there wasn't much of a selection and I got one in desert camo (pink camo was the only other option) and no do-dads other than a vertical fore-grip, or laser which I didn't want so I got the no frills one. The thing hasn't jammed on me one bit and is quite accurate out the 100 yards which is the farthest I shot it, and we did most of the shooting at 25yds. The bulk of ammo I shot through it was Winchester white box ammo FMJ's but I've fed a few other factory HP's as well as a wide variety of handloads. My wife and youngest daughter really like shooting it, the 40 in that platform has almost no kick. When I was on road trip just before I ordered I stopped into a gun store that is usually listed as having the lowest prices when I do a gun genie search. They didn't have any carbines, but had the hi-point pistols in .380, .40 and a used one in 9mm. The price for the used 9 was about the same as the 40 new so I passed on that but went ahead and got the 380 and 40. The price on them is so low it's embarrassing. I've put several mags through each of them and they all work great too. They are clunky and aren't something that will make you pine for one sitting in the display case, but they are good knock around guns that you won't be heart broken if something happens to them. I like the fact that the mags between the pistol and carbine are interchangeable, but the 10 round capacity is disappointing, especially when the kids are shooting one of those bouncy cubes and really start getting into it, then they are out of ammo! :flushed:
I just got a couple of the pro-mag 15 round mags (which hi-point says will void the warranty) Hi-point advertises a 20 round mag made by red-ball but it is basically 2 mags welded together and sticks out WAY too far for my liking. Other than that I'd have to say it's a very good gun, even at a higher price, but when you can get one for ~300 out the door, it's a no brainer.

29251814414_fb03fc8ac8_b.jpg

29251815004_d2392e8315_b.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom