Battery advice needed

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cybrsk8r

Fly on the Wall
Reaction score
I need some advice from someone experienced with battery/solar/inverter systems. My current 12V inverter shuts down after only a short time because of undervoltage, even when the batteries are freshly charged.

So what I want to do is get a 24V inverter. But even if I series 2 12V batteries, I may have the same problem, although it's less likely due to the lower input current producing less cable loss (I'm using all 0 gauge cabling)

The inverter I'm looking at will function from 22-32 V input. I have the idea to series a 6V deep cycle golf cart battery with 2 12V batteries to give me 30V in. But I don't know if the golf cart battery can handle the current which will be going thru it. I'm thinking about two 6V batteries in parallel, and then series that with the two 12V batteries. That way, each battery will have less thru current. Does this sound like a workable plan?

Any advice would be appreciated.

DCF hasn't been around in a while so I sent him a PM just now. Hopefully he'll pop in and answer. This is his (one of many) bailiwick(s).

NiFe ( Nickel Iron ) batteries are good in that they are indestructible and do not need careful management but they are very poor at holding charge.

You can loose up to 50% of your saved electrons in leakage in a couple of days .........

Kinda ok for sunny climes for overnight use and daily recharging.
Unfortunately lead acid still seems to be the best option for genuine off grid storage options.
Serious off gridders will tell you its still cheaper to buy mains electricity than pay for the batteries so the reasons for being off grid are generally to do with availability of mains.

Not having to rely on the grid is a great ideal though.

DCF hasn't been around in a while so I sent him a PM just now. Hopefully he'll pop in and answer. This is his (one of many) bailiwick(s).

Yeah be good to hear how Doug is doing.

Last time he popped in he had just given himself a serious dose of radiation as he had an unexpected breakthrough in his fusion work and was suddenly in the spotlight .:cheers:

Came across this by accident, thought it interesting.

Back
Top Bottom