Zeer Pot Refrigeration

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ancona

Praying Mantis
Reaction score
I just watched a video demonstrating a very old technology. Through evaporative cooling, one can use sand, water and two clay pots to keep produce, meat, beer, whatever......cold for extended periods in low humidity areas. A zeer pot was used many hundreds of years ago and they still work today. There is zero energy input except for the water that I guess could technically be called the energy source.

I found this very cool indeed. :cheers:

this is very very cool concept indeed (if you are not in Ireland, that is, humidity here is like 200% all the time - so very little evaporation takes place ;))

Another variation on that, in hot climates, would be to use evaporative cooling effect to air condition your house:

You simply wet thoroughly your curtains (make sure the rails will take additional load first :)), windows need to be open (and a must - overshadowed - it is a given with every "eco" solution, that you minimize the required inputs), and the air movement makes water evaporate from your curtains, thus making the air cooler (as we all know, or should have known, phase change from liquid to gas (i.e. from water to steam = evaporation), requires to absorb some energy - in the form of the heat being taken out of the "surroundings", i.e. the surrounding air).

My great-grandma was actually using this method during particularly hot summers - take off the curtains, soak them, and hang them back to dry. Surprisingly effective, in times when people were not throwing more horsepower on every obstacle/set back they faced!

Last edited:
The swamp cooler has been in use for a hundred years in teh desert southwest in the USA. These little units will freeze you out if run right.

Back
Top Bottom