I got a new car....

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ancona

Praying Mantis
Reaction score
Every four or five years the Firm buys me a new vehicle, so this year was the one. Usually I buy a nice pick up truck with a full back seat, but I opted instead for an SUV. It seems as though as the years go by, I spend far more time driving and staring at my windshield than I do loading stuff in the back to go and install remediation systems and the like. In fact, I only used it twice in four years, so I opted for something that got great mileage rather than buy something that I "might" need.

I got a 2015 Honda CR-V that gets an average of 30 miles per gallon, so that is a bit more than double what the Nissan Titan got.:pffftt:

It's an extremely comfortable ride, and since I got all the bells and whistles, it will be more fun to travel in as well. This was also the first time I was able to sign the company check I used to pay for the thing, which was pretty cool all by itself. I have to say that having the Firm pay for my wheels and my gas is a true blessing, since they also cover all maintenance and repairs. When I add up the whole thing over time, I am saving a huge amount of money on transportation and insurance.

And to think, we started providing our folks with vehicles because of government requirements. Since we drive on and around incredibly sensitive areas, like launch pads, ancillary launch facilities and whatnot, we cannot drip oil......period......and we have to have one million dollar liability insurance, in case someone fucks up some space hardware. It was simply easier to go and buy a fleet of F-150 pick-ups and deploy them, rather than have a hodge-podge of individuals that may or may not make timely insurance payments or car maintenance. :flail:

Starting in 2003, I went from getting a regular fleet truck to being given the opportunity to go and choose my own vehicle, and I was given a larger budget as well. This year, the budget was 40 thousand, but I only used 33,500. This year, we decided that I didn't need a truck if I didn't want one, since I am mostly a project design engineer and don't really spend lots of time towing things or hauling stuff anymore. It's nice actually, except the feeling that my ass is way too close to the road. I am so used to being 30 inches off the road that getting in to and driving a SUV was quite interesting. Actually, my other car is a GMC Envoy, and it sits even higher than my new one.

Oh well, I'm sure I'll get used to it, after all it's brand new and only has 14 miles on it. Either way, a new car and a fat bonus are always welcome in Anconaland!

Very good Sir. When we bought my car used- it was one owner- even now it still has the new car smell.

I been buying things.... I dont mind spending money but I want value for the cash. Now get this- thrift store prices have gone up- if I work the sales right online I can get clothes for close to that same price, only new.

I hope you did not let gas price effect your decission- the drop in price is probably temporary.

This is a good time to buy- I hate having a nice car and driving thru newly laid road tar.

Congrats Mark.

http://www.caranddriver.com/honda/cr-v 22-30 pmg

No, gas price was just a small consideration. My choice factors come in this order:
1. Safety.
2. Comfort.
3. Power and power train.
4. Cool accessories.
5. Fuel economy.
5. Color. [I got a sort of charcoal color]

A Honda CR-V is a wonderful vehicle, my guess is that you will like it a lot in the years to come.

We only buy Hondas and Toyotas in the Bearing household (reliability).

BIG thumb up for your choice!

I own a vibe

The Pontiac Vibe was a compact hatchback automobile sold under the Pontiac marque from 2002 to 2010. It was jointly developed by General Motors along with Toyota, who manufactures the mechanically similar Toyota Matrix.

===================

I like the charcoal color as well

I spent over an hour last night just fiddling about in my car, and I discovered quite a few features I didn't know it had. For one, the vox technology is integrated right in to the thing, and the little buttons for the telephone are right there beneath your thumb on the steering wheel. Also, it automatically cloned my phone numbers directly out of my phone, so I set it up with a voice tag for numbers I use frequently. You can make a call, record it, and hang up without ever moving your hands from the wheel or pushing any buttons.

I found the whole thing pretty amusing, but then again, it takes very little to amuse an idiot. ;-)

Japanese or German engineering seems to stay the course. I use a diesel vw that can achieve. 60 mpg and cruise comfortably at 90mph.
I

Back
Top Bottom