martial law in NE PA and no one cares

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Penn

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
A cop was shot and killed in the poncanos. The killer is on the lose- it has been a few days. School was cancelled. Then residents were "not allowed" in their homes. So they were housed in disaster shelters.

I know some about disaster shelters- most the time they use schools. So you have towns that the killer knows - no one is home. Some of those houses have guns. What a prime opportunity for the killer to get supplies- including guns- just follow the NRA stickers. If a terrorist did this he could hit maybe 100 people holed up in a distaster shelter- as opposed to 2 people at home who are armed. (would they allow guns in the shelter)

Even worse then this- the residents are happy and cheerleading all of this!

They are happy for martial law.

Meanwhile- the media paints the killer as militia.

The most worrisome part of this is- that residents applaud being banned from their own homes.

How long will this go on?

Tonight they are told not to leave their homes. Well-- that isnt quite as bad.

This is MY HOME. I wont go!

UPDATE: Displaced Residents Returning Home, Suspect Still Not Caught
wnep.com
BARRETT TOWNSHIP -- Emergency shelters set up for residents of Barrett and Price Townships who were not allowed back into their homes are closed and those people were allowed back home. Roads were ...

http://wnep.com/2014/09/18/shelter-set-up-for-residents-displaced-by-police-activity/

Hi Mike- the man hunt is now in its 12 day. People are not allowed in their homes. Shelters did not have bedding stuff. Some had to sleep in their cars. School was cancelled for a whole week.

A few more people have spoke up. The issue is now dividing the communities. Those who think the police can do no wrong- and a growing segment who condems what is happening.

I did a post on WNEP page- about police state and when someone bashed me- I said lick those boots. I got some likes for that.

This is costing alot of money.

WNEP even deleted a post- because of the fighting on it.

Martial law is here in Pennsylvania and the people LOVE it!

If this guy had shot and killed a convenience store clerk, they would have just put a BOLO out and went about their day. They have spent over a million dollars looking for this ass clown, and will likely spend a lot more before it is over.

It's nice how these cops are so willing to toss our tax money around like confetti when it is one of their own. When it comes to Joe Citizen, they won't even bother to come to your house to investigate a property crime any more unless the theft is more than $2,500 in value. They say that your homeowners insurance should cover burglary and theft, so they can't be bothered any more. That's one of the most infuriating things I was ever told by a cop. My little riding lawnmower was stolen around five years ago, and they wouldn't come to the house to take a report. I had to go to the trooper barracks to file one, in case I spotted it at a pawn shop or in someones yard..

The walkathon for retardation cure- was canceled. Man hunt continues.

NE PA- in the past 20 years- has a massive influx from NJ/NY. In fact - some even commute from Pike county to NYC. The mentality of NE PA- is harmed by the city influx. I would like to think central PA is smarter- but I am not so sure.

The manhunt is 2 weeks now. Every day there is a news conference that we are "close".

They can track a pack of razor blades from the store better then this.

Law firm targets Pennsylvania State Police for handling of Eric Frein manhunt

UPDATE: Lawyer: Monroe County residents unlawfully displaced during Eric Frein manhunt

A law firm is soliciting residents in Pike and Monroe counties who have been affected by police activity related to the manhunt for Eric Frein, the suspect in the Sept. 12 Pennsylvania State Police ambush that left one trooper dead and wounded another.

Joshua Prince, of the Bechtelsville, Pa.-based Prince Law Offices, posted a message on the firm's website Monday night encouraging residents to contact the firm if they believe their rights have been violated by police during the search for Frein, who is sought in the shooting outside the state police Blooming Grove barracks in Pike County.

"If you are a resident of Pike or Monroe County and had your rights violated by the (Pennsylvania State Police), either by unlawfully evicting you from your home or searching your vehicle without a warrant, please contact us to discuss your legal options," the message says.

Have authorities compromised people's rights in the manhunt for alleged cop killer Eric Frein?
Yes
No

Prince, in his message, cites media reports of police checking vehicles without warrants or probable cause and not allowing residents to return to their homes during periods of the search.

Officials opened temporary shelters for displaced residents last week in Barrett Township, Monroe County, and Price Township, Pike County, as police activity intensified during the search for Frein.

Other measures have also been taken to protect residents during the manhunt. There have been road closures, schools have shuttered and sporting events have been postponed as police try to track down Frein, a survivalist whom authorities considered armed and extremely dangerous.

A Pennsylvania State Police spokesman on Tuesday afternoon said in an email that state police are aware of the firm's post.

"During our search operations in the area, we have been diligent in respecting the rights of the public while working hard to keep both residents and law enforcement safe," Trooper Adam Reed said.

Efforts to reach Prince on Tuesday afternoon were unsuccessful. Messages left at the firm were not immediately returned.

Frein, who has been placed on the FBI's 10 most wanted list, remained on the lam Tuesday afternoon, 11 days after the ambush.

A handful of people are bashing those who would sue. We are at day 16 or 17. They are selling teeshirts now. First run of tee shirts have sold out.

something to the effect proud of our police.

hunting season cancelled in 2 counties- includes public AND PRIVATE LAND. Supposedly a pipe bomb was found yesterday.

Game commission has placed a hold on hunting. (including trapping)

2 troopers fell out of a tree stand and had to be flown to the hospital- earlier in the search they totalled 2 police cars.

Penn!

This is a great example of the decline of .gov functioning at all levels. It's not just the federal government anymore, we see much of this ass-hattery in FloriDuh as well (see ancona above).

The town (wealthy) I live in is rotten. Florida is a pretty corrupt state, though there are MANY corrupt states. I won't (now) get into the massive biblical-scale corruption at the US government level.

All of this corruption and incompetence (Secret Service asleep at the switch twice recently -- NOT counting their hooker jaunt in Colombia; the EBOLA case in Texas -- just wait until Patient No. 2 or No. 3 makes the news, then panic buying may start.....................).

So many scandals and rot it is hard to keep up with it all. And Pennsylvania (except Philadelphia) has a pretty moderate image as a pretty "normal" kind of place.

It looks like a "normal place" no longer exists...

My brother has owned in FL for a year. He wants out. He says it is hard to get anything done there work wise.

we are at day 18 or 19 now.

Of course they have to finish this guy in order to maintain the intimidation level that their way of existance requires.

Tyrants fall when the tyranized no longer fear them.

On the large scale this really comes down to one plain fact - we are an empire, ruled by an emperor. Once this idea is accepted, the actions of our rulers and the course of events becomes logical.

When you hear "republic", think "empire". When you hear "democracy", think "statism". When you hear "allies", think "colonies". When you hear "interests", think "resources".

When you hear "citizens", think "subjects".

Last edited:

Sounds like the police in the keystone state are living up to the fine tradition of the keystone cops.

it is a month now. 80% of the population is now against the cost of this manhunt. Halloween parade and treat or treating is cancelled.

Nancy,
Costs for the manhunt for Eric Frein are up to six million dollars. This amount includes overtime for the PSP, housing, equipment, reimbursement to New York & New Jersey for their support in the hunt and other costs. I understand PSP are no longer incurring the overtime cost because troopers working on the case are working regular shifts. Troopers from barracks around the Commonwealth are participating in the hunt.
Please let me know if you have additional questions or concerns.
Sandy

BARRETT TOWNSHIP – State police said there was a credible sighting of Eric Frein near Pocono Mountain East High School around 9 p.m. Friday night.

During a news conference with Gov. Tom Corbett and State Police Commissioner Frank Noonan, authorities released new information about the manhunt, which has shifted south into Swiftwater and Paradise Township.

Lt. Col. George Bivens said a woman walking along a tree line saw a man similar to Frein, carrying a rifle with mud on his face.

Bivens said the sighting was made from a distance of about 20 feet away.

During the news conference, Corbett thanked people who live in the search area for their support.

“We’re not going to rest… nobody is going to stop,” said Corbett. “This has been trying on everyone.”

Bivens later said that the weather is working in their favor, because officers in helicopters and airplanes can see more from above, as leaves continue to fall in the woods.

According to Bivens, state troopers are still calculating the cost of the manhunt, but he said it is below the estimated $10 million mark.

The owner of Amber Steakhouse along Route 611 told Newswatch 16 that she was surprised to see police focus their search on one of the busiest roads in the Poconos.

“They had night vision goggles, and they were looking to the woods across the street, I asked them what was going on and they said, there was a spotting,” said Mary Rieman. “My thought is, since he is going into such a populated area, that he is going to make a move, or get caught.”

Officials with Pocono Mountain School District said they’re still planning to have classes on Monday, but they are in constant contact with investigators.

Stay with Newswatch 16 and WNEP.com for the latest on this story.

Today they caught eric freign. It costs around $15,000,000.00. Paid for via state gas tax- which just went up to be among the highest in the country. bickering over this issue of the state police has been intense. about 75% against the search and 25% for the extreme measures search.

The folks who think money is no object are gloating on how right they were- that eric was still in the area and they claim they are vindicated.

However- when it goes to a jury trial- the search has pissed off a number of local people- it only takes one jurist to let this guy walk.

If I was on the jury- I would not convict him. The state squandered resources and should not be rewarded for doing so.

Only gubment beaureaufats think spending 15 million to find something sitting under their nose for 2 months is money well spent. I would also bet that the real cost is much higher.

I agree on this money thing. Money is never an object when it comes from someone else. What these LEO's all have in common is a particular disdain for the public that permits them to so arrogantly blow cash because "it was one of our own".

I think the best course of action would have been plastering this guys face all over every receptive media outlet and wait him out. Eventually, he would have run out of supplies or money, so it was always just a matter of time. Remember the guy down in S.C. [I think} Eric Rudolph? They eventually got him but didn't spend 15 million to do so. They waited patiently and eventually the guy made a mistake.

I agree on this money thing. Money is never an object when it comes from someone else. What these LEO's all have in common is a particular disdain for the public that permits them to so arrogantly blow cash because "it was one of our own".

I think the best course of action would have been plastering this guys face all over every receptive media outlet and wait him out. Eventually, he would have run out of supplies or money, so it was always just a matter of time. Remember the guy down in S.C. [I think} Eric Rudolph? They eventually got him but didn't spend 15 million to do so. They waited patiently and eventually the guy made a mistake.

Exactly what I had been saying, or like Col. Trautman said of Rambo in "First Blood" (this guys hardly a real life Rambo though.) As it was he was yards away from the building he was hiding in with no weapons on him. Imagine if they scaled back the search weeks ago? He would have felt totally at ease and been caught much sooner.

That is exactly right gentlemen. He would have needed supplies. Him relaxing and then letting his gaurd down would lead to a faster capture.

Back
Top Bottom