Suicide just happened down the street from me

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

That is tragic.

However I think that any recent "negative news" might have contributed to this but he already had problems that were leading him down that path. Some people see the glass half full, some see it as almost empty. I think that says a lot about your ability to withstand bad news and keep on keeping on.

I think about the only thing that would cause me to seriously contemplate suicide would be if I was about to be attacked by a zombie.

That or waking up and seeing Hilary Clinton in bed with me. :flushed:

Last edited:
A few years ago- one of the residents thru herself in the river because of taxes. I dont recall if she died or not.

When I was young a neighbor across the street killed himself in his garage (CO poisoning from his running car).

And this happened:
In the 1980s, the high school was perhaps most known for the suicides that occurred in 1984. Six teenagers committed suicide, with five of them doing so in the community of Clear Lake, and with the final one being a Clear Creek High School student.[4] From August until October of that year, two Clear Lake students and three former Clear Lake students killed themselves.[5]

Loren Coleman, author of The Copycat Effect: How the Media and Popular Culture Trigger the Mayhem in Tomorrow's Headlines, wrote that "Needless to say, the community was alarmed by the deaths and feared more."[6] The New York Times reported that there were rumors of a suicide pact that included up to thirty students but that this story turned out to be "a lark." Psychologists were sent to the school to deal with any residual stress that resulted from these events.[5] In January 1985 area police department stated that since October 1984 there had been no suicides of teenagers. In 1985 Scott Lally, a 17-year-old fourth year student who worked for the school newspaper, stated "It's funny but you really don't hear the suicides talked about that much any more. But the kids who are having trouble now have a place to go."[7]

B. Comstock, the author of "Youth Suicide Cluster: A Community Response" in Newslink, argued that the "wide press coverage" and the "abundance of volunteers eager to help but not organized to do anything" were problematic.[8] He stated that there was a lot of panic and confusion in the Clear Lake community and that the residents of the area were not happy with the media presence.[8]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clear_Lake_High_School_(Houston,_Texas)#Suicides_in_1984

That was a clusterfuck. There were reporters roaming the hallways inside the school trying to make a story for the nightly news. I was acquainted with the first kid who started that ball rolling. Didn't know him well. Always thought there was something a bit off about him, but never suspected he would hang himself.

It seems to me that suicide isn't all that rare. It happens all the time, but most people don't really notice it unless there is a personal connection.

Here in Blighty there are certain locations that attract 'jumpers'

Beachy Head cliffs and Clifton Suspension bridge being two favourites.

Apparently the Samaritans watch out for lone people acting oddly at these locations and attempt to engage with them
Many tall bridges now have signs to call the samaritans before jumping.

There are many reasons why someone might want to 'end it' and if they've had a life, I am not against them wanting out in the event of a probable life ending medical condition or a feeling of no reason to rot slowly in a lonely old peoples 'prison'.

Ive known a few suicides and never thought they were candidates but the serially depressed people Ive met, who I thought might be candidates, do not seem opt for suicide to ease their pain.

I choose life, yet do not fear death.

My old man worked on the Golden Gate bridge for a few years, and they had lots of jumpers there. They'd often show up in the morning and find a body. At one point they were approaching some milestone number, can't remember what it was, maybe 1K or 2K something like that and apparently lots of people REALLY just wanted to be that number.

When I was in H.S. in the Mid-late 80's there were a couple kids that committed suicide, but I only knew one, and not that well. I was working security in an E.R. when they brought in a woman who had committed suicide by shooting herself in the head TWICE! The cops pointed out that it was rare for women to use a gun or do anything that ruins their face, and she had such a death grip on the gun, (brretta model 92) that she squeezed the trigger a second time and still had it in her hand after that, and they literally had to pry it from her cold dead fingers.

When I was a C.O. I saw several attempted suicides, sometimes they don't care who they take with them either. I was never on duty for any successful attempts (or any successful escapes!). I've generally viewed suicide as a permanent solution to a temporary problem but there are cases where I understand it if the person has a terminal disease with little to no chance of living, and they are in pain, or some elderly people who are in chronic pain wit little relief. Also if I was a vegetable or close to it, I know I would want to do it or have someone help me do it, if I wasn't physically able to do it by myself. For the most part though I think its a waste.

I guess I was more shocked then anything. People dont jump off of buildings in the town.

Until now.

Cowards kill themselves.

Easiest way out for wankers.

Please do not assault comment with any remotely PC bullshit.

People who kill themselves, do not deserve ANY post mortem attention or energy expenditures from the living, after massively selfish endeavor.

Erase this thread as it is a waste of any attachment, to what is now empty history.

Hey 47- I feel the same way. It isnt fair to those behind.

my mom shot herself when I was six, father drank himself to death shortly thereafter. Passed around from relative to relative. Lived off and on the streets till I was 27. My sister moved in with her boyfriend when she was 13. (They married twenty years later, and are multimillionaires). A kid shot himself here Thanksgiving night over a girl leaving him; now at 57 I cannot fathom WHY someone that age would kill themselves over a girl. But I'm not 20. Elderly lady across the street came out her house at 5:00 and blew her head off with a 12 gauge; she though she had cancer (she didn't).

I've got 110+ hours worth of .MP3s in my electronic music library that I listen to while working every day. It's set to play songs randomly. This song (lyrics) was playing this morning while reading your post Jay:

:paperbag:

I live in a town of 10,000. I was looking at pictures from 1936. We were a happening place back then. Impressive even.

I called mom today. I wanted to hear her laugh. Moms laugh is one of the happiest sounds in the universe. I am going to call her more often.

Cowards kill themselves.

People who kill themselves, do not deserve ANY post mortem attention or energy expenditures from the living, after massively selfish endeavor.

What about the millions who kill themselves slowly by putting shit into their bodies daily ?

What about those who have control of the morphine driver to ease their pain as they exit ?

What about mothers in famine situations who knowingly starve themselves in order that their children might live ?

There are many shades of this issue and simply writing them all off as losers
seems wrong.

I've got 110+ hours worth of .MP3s in my electronic music library that I listen to while working every day. It's set to play songs randomly. This song (lyrics) was playing this morning while reading your post Jay:

Rush - The larger bowl - YouTube

:paperbag:

huh, never listened to the lyrics. Back when we were framing houses we used to call Rush "the screamers who scream for a whole lot of money". Good song.

What about the millions who kill themselves slowly by putting shit into their bodies daily ?

What about those who have control of the morphine driver to ease their pain as they exit ?

What about mothers in famine situations who knowingly starve themselves in order that their children might live ?

There are many shades of this issue and simply writing them all off as losers
seems wrong.

wow what a sticky wicket.

the Catholic church told me my mother is in hell.

the First United Methodist church told me that's ridiculous, God doesn't send sick people to hell.

Religion is just another fear based control system with rules and sanction from 'on high'

A journey into the Mystical aspects of any religion will be more enlightening than simply living an unthinking / unquestioning 'rule based' life because of what some Avatar was supposed to have said hundreds of years ago.

Jay- my complaint is alot to do with how it effects the kids. The kids did nothing wrong- and then spend their life with trying to resolve what happened.

Back
Top Bottom