Important Forum Guidelines

Thread contains important information that may impact how you use the forum

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
Monty Python and the Holy Grail said:
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who, this is supposed to be a happy occasion!

This forum is not a place to air grievances, attack, insult or upset people. Disagreements should be handled civilly and diplomatically. Thank you.

This quote was from another forum that I visited many years ago that sums up how I feel about running this forum.
The House Style is simple really - we regard this place as an open house where we host an open door party. Anyone can come in and be a welcome guest here. We have hosts (moderators) who try to help you settle in, feel comfortable, etc. We expect all guests to treat other guests with respect. To disagree with each other is a good thing, as it presents different perspectives to a discussion. Just disagree respectfully.

... Go back to that 'open house party' idea, and imagine if you'd inadvertantly spilt an ashtray over. If it is a minor spill, the hosts and hostesses of this party may simply tell you you've done it so you know, and tell you where the cleaning stuff is if you want to clean it up for yourself. If it is a major spill, we may immediately clean it up and there will be no hard feelings (but we will ask you to be more careful of course). But if you continually spill stuff, and don't clean up for yourself, we'd eventually have to ask you to leave, or the house just isn't going to be pleasant for other guests, and the hosts and hostesses want to spend their time meeting and greeting and facilitating, not cleaning up after one clumsy person.

In short, we try to keep moderation here friendly, informal, and to treat you all as adults capable of cleaning up your own messes if you should make them. Most people hardly know the moderators do anything but encourage good discussions and a warm atmosphere, and actually, that's mostly all we do.

The good, respectful community here is because we have a good respectful community here, and one we are very proud of, and eager to have you join and enjoy too.

I forgot to mention... Do not post your personal contact information - including email address(es), physical/mailing address or phone number(s) - in the public forum. This forum has a private message system that you can use to communicate those or any other personal messages safely to another member here.

This is for your protection. The internets can be a more wretched hive of scum and villany than Mos Eisley. Be smart.

Last edited:
* bump *

With the influx of GIM2 refugees, I'm seeing a need to mention two more guidelines that I realize now were never explicitly stated:

• respect copyrights - It's great if you want to reference/highlight something published somewhere else on the internet, but please respect copyrights. That means quote a small snippet of text instead of an entire page/article. Include a link to the source. If folks want to read more, they can follow the link. I've been lax in enforcing this guideline up to now, but I'm going to start being more vigilant. I don't have time to review and edit your posts, so if I see entire pages copied from other sources, I'm just going to delete the post and let you try again with a fair use snippet and personal comment.
  • videos - If you want to share a video, bare minimum, you should add a personal comment that sheds light on what you found interesting about the video. If you want to go the extra mile, include a short summary of the content. Many folk don't have time to watch videos (especially long ones). I've been pretty lax in allowing folks to post videos with no comments, but I'm not going to continue in this fashion. If you post a thread with a video and no personal comment, I'm going to delete it and let you try again with a comment.

Last edited:
Recent activity in the forum has prompted me to remind everyone once again that you are guests in my home. In my home, guests are expected to be respectful to all other guests.

... This forum is not a place to air greivances, attack, insult or upset people. ...

If you have issues with LGBTQ people, people on opposite sides of the political spectrum, people with (learning) disabilities, people of different religions, skin color, etc. that's your personal problem. This isn't a safe zone echo chamber for you to unleash your bigotry.

bigot (noun)

: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices
especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (such as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

Take care with your language. Derogatory epithets are not welcome or acceptable here. You really should consider the possibility that there are members of this forum that might identify as any possible group (whether LGBTQ, leftist/democrat, female, black/asian/hispanic, etc.). Guests in my house are expected to show everyone respect. If you can't manage that, you shouldn't be here in my home.

Hey guys

I just edited a few posts in the political jokes thread. Some people found them to be offensive and they went against the forum guidelines. Could you try to understand that it's poor forum etiquette to post things about religion and race that others may not appreciate.

Thanks.

Folks, if you see posts in the forums that you find offensive and think violate the forum guidelines, you can use the "report" link at the bottom of the post in question to bring it to the attention of the moderating team. Thanks.

It's been brought to my attention that I never explicitly laid out the forum's policy regarding acceptable content for signatures. Every member here can personalize their account with a signature that appears at the bottom of every post they make in the forum. You can edit your signature here:

The content of the signature needs to conform to the same guidelines as described in this thread for posts as well as the Terms and Rules defined here:

That said, members that help to support the forum and upgrade their accounts:

gain the ability to include links and images in their signatures. PMBug management may remove or modify any content which is deemed, in PMBug management's sole discretion, to be in violation of the guidelines or Terms and Rules.

Images and links that promote commercial ventures/websites or affiliate programs might be acceptable depending upon circumstances. Members interested in using affiliate links or otherwise promoting commercial ventures/websites should contact me directly (PM preferred) prior to publishing live in their signature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom