Which gold coins?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

escobar

Predaceous Stink Bug
Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting some coins just to diversify. Any suggestions on which ones you guys like? I was leaning toward the Krugerands and Maple leafs. The Eagles seem to high a premium IMO. Thanks

I have been thinking about getting some coins just to diversify. Any suggestions on which ones you guys like? I was leaning toward the Krugerands and Maple leafs. The Eagles seem to high a premium IMO. Thanks

If you don't want coins that have premiums, I don't know why you are asking this question...

I've been a fan of the Australian Lunars and Pandas for a long time.. Their premiums are high today mostly because Asians are the ones getting more wealthy and buying gold. Why on earth would the Chinese want American coins? IMO.. If Asia is going to be the place we have the bubble, invest in Asian coins.

Every form of coins or bullion have some premium. Maybe I wasn't clear. My pt was the premiums for American Gold Eagles are the highest of almost any form I have seen. I am willing to pay a premium but was trying to decide among the more lower premium coin formats (maples, phils, Krugers, kangaroos) etc.

Thx

Remember that Gold Eagles are technically legal tender in the USA and you have to declare them if you travel abroad with them. It's not clear if there is a similar restriction on the other coins or not.

If you never plan on taking them abroad, it's not so much of an issue. Get a few of each if your budget allows. $.02

Personally, I like the Gold Maples. The premiums aren't bad but the down fall is they are very soft b/c they are 24kt; if you handle them they are easily scratched.

Back
Top Bottom