Gold eagles, pure gold?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

escobar

Predaceous Stink Bug
Reaction score
I don't own any eagles but I saw this on wiki. This jumped out at me. Is this true?

Offered in 1/10 oz, 1/4 oz, 1/2 oz, and 1 oz denominations, these coins are guaranteed by the U.S. government to contain the stated amount of actual gold weight in troy ounces. By law, the gold must come from sources in America, alloyed with silver and copper to produce a more wear-resistant coin. The specific alloy is also referred to as crown gold. The actual gold fraction is .9167 or (22 karat). It is authorized by the United States Congress and is backed by the United States Mint for weight and content.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Gold_Eagle

I notice it doesnt say 999 in the coins.

Most 'face value' bullion coins were traditionally hardened with copper and/or something else, for the purpose of circulation. 24k (.999) gold is soft and too easily dented/scratched or bent.

Some of the more common bulk bullion coins (without face value) are also 22k, for similar sorts of reasons. e.g. Krugerrands. Most of the 24k coins are issued in smaller numbers with lower expectation of circulation / bulk use.

They all however contain the right amount of gold (1oz, or whatever the coin size dictates). The 22k ones are just a bit heavier to make up for the lower purity.

Eagle - 22k
Krugerrand - 22k
Pesos - 22k
Sovereign/Pound - 22k

Maple - 24k
Buffalo - 24k
Kangaroo - 24k

It's true. Gold Eagles use the same specifications as the South African Krugerrand. They contain 1 troy ounce of gold plus some silver and copper to harden it.

I like Maples because they are certified .999 purity. That is medical grade gold. The good shit is the best shit.

I like Maples because they are certified .999 purity. That is medical grade gold. The good shit is the best shit.

Correction.... Maples are .9999 pure. LOL

AGE's contain 91.67% gold (22 karat), 3% silver, and 5.33% copper.

Correction.... Maples are .9999 pure. LOL

AGE's contain 91.67% gold (22 karat), 3% silver, and 5.33% copper.

You are right, I was wrong. I am officially corrected. :agree: Actually, I buy the maples not because they are infinitessimally more pure than Eagles, but hey do not contain any base metals. I think our mint must know something we do not, because the addition of copper/silver to coin is solely to make them more durable for use as money.

Back
Top Bottom