Looking into buying pm. Can anyone help a lady out?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I do own some 10 oz- I doubt I will buy anymore. They are easy to store.

I am glad I never went higher then 10 oz.

Mark- that is a good balance. I do own rounds and bars- but wont buy more- or put it this way - the cost would have to be a good discount for me to bite.

They consider 500 oz to be an average house, paid in full. I love to ponder that.

DSA,
I am nearly completely dedicated to silver, with only a tiny amount of gold. That said, when I buy silver, it is never bigger than one ounce bars or rounds. in addition, the ratios are different. For instance, I am about 30% junk, 50% sovereign rounds like ASE's and Maples and the balance is little bars or generic rounds. I should have added that to my earlier post, since I am also deathly afraid of getting a counterfeit bar/round and anything over one ounce in size is the most likely candidate for counterfeiting.

As far as gold, I only have a few ounces and some jewelry of various grades.:wave:

Silver should outperform gold. It's just takes up so much damn space.

It only takes up space in so far as to hide it.

I think I've decided to just get a bit of both. I going to invest in a couple of 1 oz silver bars to start off. After that I'm going to buy american gold eagles. Then bars then coins again and so on haha. I was conflicted because to me bars are neater as far as putting in a safe but coins I can hide in various places through out the house.

I am very glad to hear that! You are doing the right thing.

Thank you I just want to make sure I do the right thing. I want to have fun with it but I want to put my money to good use as well.

Sorry I'm a little late to the party in this thread but Gracie, welcome. I say get your hands on whatever you can, sometime the LCS might not have bars or something and you may get junk silver or ASE instead or vice versa. Diversification is good so it is good to get both gold and silver. Especially with gold stick to gov't coinage and name brand bars.

I think I've decided to just get a bit of both. I going to invest in a couple of 1 oz silver bars to start off. After that I'm going to buy american gold eagles. Then bars then coins again and so on haha. I was conflicted because to me bars are neater as far as putting in a safe but coins I can hide in various places through out the house.
Good idea.

Also, you might have already noticed that bars are cheaper than their coin equivalents.

Because your just starting the best thing to do is get your feet wet. learn what spot price is and go to a coin store to buy a few small pieces. after that go home and look up what you bought and come back here and we will tell you if you made a decent purchase.

DO NOT MAKE YOUR FIRST PURCHASES LARGE ONES

It is very common for new stackers to want to go out and buy buy buy. this is not smart as everyone selling silver wants to get the most for what they have and they will often lie to you. keep it small. keep it simple, keep it under $50 for your first few purchases.

Buying in incrememts is also good because it will allow you to watch the versitilitl of silver. every time you go to a coin story the junk silver may be a different price either up or down depending on the spot silver price for the day

Ok- so after TARP_ I decided I was done with stocks- and began to switch to physical PMS. Mostly silver. I put must of bulk into physical- over a mix of purchases- I had fun with it. I also kept some cash for SLW/SLV stock- which was a mistake- some like the miners- to me it is still paper- after loosing a few k- I cashed out and went into silver.

So then- after the bulk of my cash is in silver- then the purchases to add are small- as little as a dime a month- usually a hand full of halfs.

STOCK IN MINERS is still paper silver- and DO NOT CHURN.

Some will sell and try to buy it back cheaper- dont fall for this.

Because your just starting the best thing to do is get your feet wet. learn what spot price is and go to a coin store to buy a few small pieces. after that go home and look up what you bought and come back here and we will tell you if you made a decent purchase.

DO NOT MAKE YOUR FIRST PURCHASES LARGE ONES

It is very common for new stackers to want to go out and buy buy buy. this is not smart as everyone selling silver wants to get the most for what they have and they will often lie to you. keep it small. keep it simple, keep it under $50 for your first few purchases.

Buying in incrememts is also good because it will allow you to watch the versitilitl of silver. every time you go to a coin story the junk silver may be a different price either up or down depending on the spot silver price for the day

what he said. In the words of my mentor, it will "a-koom-u-late" before you know it. Then, you'll need a boat.... :)

Back
Top Bottom