Precious Metals Forum

Go Back   Precious Metals Forum > Precious Metals and Economic News > PM Bug

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2015, 04:14 PM   #1
Fly on the wall

Liked: 9 times
Is now, April 2015, the time to heavily invest in gold and silver?

Gold or silver or mix... Mix I would say. I just started in this investment idea and presently just taking it easy and trying to get some solid information as to what I should do. I have some mad money that I would like to put into gold and silver .. 10,000.00 Canadian. Where should I start? The thought of investing is somewhat simple, but the source to obtain reasonable silver and gold purchases is not. Seems to me that now is the time to jump in. I've been over the internet many times and have listened to many speakers giving their opinion and the direction of silver and gold. I found James Rickards to be the most informative one of all and I do have his book "The Death Of Money". Interesting to say the least. Anyone with any suggestions?
ancona likes this.
Golsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:31 PM   #2
PM Bug Supporter

Liked: 691 times

Hi Golsil, and welcome!

As a general rule, and particularly if you have mad money, I recommend a balance in precious metals holdings. Here would be my general take, of course I know nothing of your circumstances:

1) If you have more than $10,000 (better said: if you eventually will have more than $10k to invest), then I would buy more $-value of gold than silver. Even more so if you have children, gold is a fabulous intergenerational gift, the super-rich do that (pass it down through the generations for hundreds of years). Gold takes up far less space too...

2) Silver is great as a speculation AND in case things get rough (SHTF). Easier to spend and all. Silver also has different fundamentals (it is used in many industries, vital in most of its uses).

3) There is no harm in buying platinum if you are comfortable with it. It´s a lovely metal, used in industry as well, but with different fundamentals than silver. But, platinum is not as liquid, especially in a VERY BAD SHTF with "social unrest"...

If $10,000 or so is about all you will spend on PMs, go with both gold and silver.

But, read other opinions here too! The above are just my suggestions based on limited knowledge.

EDIT: Specifically answering your question re buying PMs this April, yes, now (and anytime) is a good time to buy. As long as you are comfortable with the volatile price movements.
rblong2us, BigJim and Golsil like this.

Last edited by DoChenRollingBearing; 04-18-2015 at 11:36 PM.
DoChenRollingBearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:48 PM   #3
Fly on the wall

Thanks for the info DoChenRollingBearing. I might say that with most of us, we try and enter at the right time... you know that precise moment when everything looks perfect. I know some, who by luck or otherwise, who entered at the perfect time, and they have really profited. There is so much going on presently with world matters that could drive gold and silver to absolute crazy figures. Just wondering if this time has come. With writers like James Rickards and the other common advisers who give their comments, it seems to me, that soon we may be in for one hell of a ride. With China and Russia and the Euro with all the problems currently, as well as the gloom and doom for the US economy and the possibility of it going broke and downhill, it makes one sit up and just think where all of this is leading. Damned at this time, if I know.
rblong2us likes this.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:00 PM   #4
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 249 times
I like junk silver and eagles. Stick with silver.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:25 PM   #5
Fly on the wall

Liked: 38 times
I would buy 5 gold maples, 125 silver maples and a $100 face bag of %90 dimes and quarters.

Last edited by Chigg; 04-19-2015 at 05:33 PM.
Chigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:26 PM   #6
Ground Beetle

Liked: 502 times
I would say no. The time to invest in silver has been ever since it went back below the $25-$30 range, so I would hardly restrict it to just this month as being a good time to buy silver. Gold is so high relative to silver that while I still buy a bit of fractional gold now and then, I concentrate on silver for now, and will keep doing so until either gold comes way down, or silver shoots way up, or both.
Golsil likes this.
11C1P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:09 PM   #7
Fly on the wall

Thanks 11C1P.. You mention.. $25-$30 range. Do you think that is will go lower and if so, when? And while you say, most any time now is a good time to buy silver, when do you think it may begin to go upwards in value. I'm trying to hold off as long as I can due to world issues such as China, Russia, Japan and others, and then throw everything I have into mostly silver and a reasonable amount of gold. Some may say that this is a stupid question and if we knew that, then everyone would be on the band wagon. Well, the way I see it some just blindly, with little effort, do what they may think to be correct rather than seek advice. As for me, I will always seek advice and digest it before making a decision. When you ask for advice, you may well be surprised with the knowledge others have, and if you don't ask it may not be offered, and you miss a great opportunity to pick someone's brain for what you would hope to be of great value. I guess that is where a good listener is always ahead in his game.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:09 AM   #8
Golden Cockroach

Liked: 2444 times
Originally Posted by Golsil View Post:
... I might say that with most of us, we try and enter at the right time... you know that precise moment when everything looks perfect....
No one will ever know when that time is. Traders always risk missing the boat and rarely time peaks and valleys correctly. Stackers miss the opportunity for peak returns, but they won't be in the water when the Titanic sinks.

Important stuff: PMBug 101 * Forum Guidelines * Support PMBug
PMBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:41 AM   #9
Ground Beetle

Yeah, if someone tells you know when something is going to peak and when it's going to bottom out they are full of shit. That doesn't mean you can't see when something is at a good value. If Ford suddenly priced a new Mustang at $100k, I wouldn't run down and start buying a bunch thinking I want to get in on a run, but if they priced say a new F-150 at $1k each, I would run down and buy as many as I could afford. Doesn't mean I knew those prices were coming, or where they will be in a week, but I know that $1k for a new truck represents incredible value. I currently think that's where silver is at, a great value, especially compared to gold. Right now gold is above platinum. Seems to me that other PM's are either undervalued or gold is overvalued, perhaps a bit of both, which still makes me like silver.
PMBug likes this.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:16 AM   #10
Ground Beetle

Oh, yeah as far as where to put your money, diversity is always a good thing, but you still always want to get as much value you as you can, even while diversifying. I would concentrate on silver now, maybe spend around 15% of whatever amount you plan on starting out your stack with on gold, the rest on silver. I also like to diversify my silver in that I buy 1/3 govt. bullion, 1/3 junk silver, and the other 1/3 generic silver coins/bars.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:56 AM   #11
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 2046 times
My thing is silver, and right now it is deeply discounted against gold. Silver Maple Leafs are solid purchases brother. I wouldn't spend the whole ten yards, because keeping twenty percent in cash keeps you liquid for emergency situations.
Penn and Golsil like this.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:07 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Liked: 685 times
I had similar questions about gold versus silver when I first came to this forum:
http://www.pmbug.com/forum/f3/silver-storage-661/
http://www.pmbug.com/forum/f3/stack-transport-1186/

Silver is a good place to get started, but eventually gold/plat become important as a more concentrated form of wealth.
BigJim likes this.
Never free.

PMBug 101 *** Forum Rules
benjamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:44 PM   #13
Fly on the wall

I'm listening with both ears. Just today I contacted Silver Gold Bull Inc. Calgary and purchased 3 10 oz Sunshine Mint Silver Bars. I usually buy the 1 oz. wafer bars, but the 10's were somewhat of a bargain I thought. Only have a few ounces of gold to date, due to the fact I, as many of your do, thought it was rather overpriced at present. Just waiting for it to drop. Hey, I'm tired of having my money under the mattress. As for Gold, what is the present view, up or down for the next 30 days?
ancona likes this.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:01 PM   #14
Fly on the wall

11C1P.. You just mentioned Ford Mustangs. Hey, I just purchased mine, a 2015 6th Generation pony car, 3.7L 6V, back in Nov. 2014. It was an internet build. Cost me $31,000.00. Built a special garage for it last summer. It will only be driven during ...May through Oct. each year, just 6 months. Outside that, it will be safely stored in my garage, solely for the Mustang. Always wanted a Mustang. Yes I know, that would have surely bought a hell of lot of precious metals. But....
Old 04-20-2015, 05:02 PM   #15
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 871 times
Hey Golsil welcome aboard

I also rate Jim Rickards as a smart, thoughtful source of info. I know some think he's tainted because he has good connections.

As the precious metals are not able to establish value in a real market, its not really possible to say any more than 'prices will go where they want them to go', until they loose control of the manipulation processes.
Its quite likely they have things in place in the event that gold wants to go somewhere fast.We will no doubt find out .....

Im kinda waiting for the last of the gold bugs to give up and revert to paper, cos thats when it will get interesting

oh wait .....
Old 04-20-2015, 05:38 PM   #16
Fly on the wall

rblong2us.. Thanks... glad to be here.. great knowledgeable people.

Indeed... Jim Rickards in my opinion, has a lot of good information to offer. Being not so perfect sometimes has its advantages. I fault him not.

Makes one wonder about all the gloom and doom that presently exists in many countries. In the news we find Japan, Italy, Europe, China, Russia and the United States to name a few. All have major problems that will spill over and cause gold to rise tremendously. The Death of Money.. will that really happen and then what? Next couple of years, we are in for one hell of a ride. Investing in precious metals at this time, seems to be a safe haven.

Murphy's Law.. Anything that can happen, will happen. (Again, and again and again) ... my personal version.

Last edited by Golsil; 04-20-2015 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:34 AM   #17
Golden Cockroach

Liked: 2444 times
Originally Posted by Golsil View Post:
... Only have a few ounces of gold to date, due to the fact I, as many of your do, thought it was rather overpriced at present. ...
Just to clarify, I don't think anyone said that gold is overpriced at present. Indeed, there is evidence that it is extremely underpriced right now. What folks are saying is that silver is even more of a bargain relative to gold at the moment.
Golsil likes this.

Important stuff: PMBug 101 * Forum Guidelines * Support PMBug
PMBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:21 AM   #18
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 2046 times
GolSil,
Have you looked at Apmex for PM buys? I tend to have a personal bias for them since I have never, ever had a problem with them. Although I don't know what the import regs are in Canada. They are in the USA and will ship to you, but I'm not at all up to date on the requirements.

That said, I understand that there are a number of reputable firms in the larger metro areas with great reputations. I like to do cash and carry whenever possible. My LCS is a fair and reputable guy with reasonable mark-ups. Buying local means I get my metals at the point of sale, I help the local economy with the whole money velocity thing and I don't have to wait for my shiny.
Golsil likes this.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:56 PM   #19
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 249 times
Dont worry about 30 days. I known these guys for over 5 years. Buy what you can forget to know that you own. Stack it.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:29 PM   #20
Fly on the wall

Thanks ancona.. I actually live in Canada and tried to get some silver from said company but they could not ship to me. I tried multiple times and finally a representative of the company apologized for the trouble I was having and offered to have me just email her, rather than follow the site's importing instructions, show shipping, items I required and so on. But I just didn't as yet give them a full reply, just acknowledged their proposal.

Import regs I believe are... gold is exempt when in bars, wafers and blocks at 99.5 content, and silver, same form, at 99.9 content. Coins and other items are free duty under NAFTA but taxable.

You are indeed lucky to have the privilege of Cash and Carry. I have to go all over the globe for my purchases. Nothing acceptable locally. I usually have to wait 3 weeks or more before I see my product by getting my metals from an outside source. And I'm pleased with that
ancona likes this.