Personal Ratio

What is your current silver to gold ratio?

• Zero, I don't have any silver

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50:1 or less

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • 51:1 to 100:1

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • 101:1 to 200:1

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • 201:1 to 500:1

• Higher than 500:1

• I don't have any gold

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

benjamen

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
I am curious what the forum's general ratio of troy ounces of silver to troy ounces of gold is currently (ignoring other metals for this thread).

Example:
If you have 800 ounces of silver and 10 ounces of gold, your ratio is 80:1

Secondary question to post below about:
Despite whatever your current ratio is, what is your ideal ratio?

Last edited:
i was just about to post my GSR, when it ocurred to me that i had previously mentioned how much silver Bullionvault were storing for me ...............

so a security lapse or paranoia ?

I don't really worry about an ideal ratio in cold numbers. When I buy, I go for what appears to be the best deal at the time.

I have over a billion dollars worth of gold and silver, each held equally. Of course, that is the gold I "created" just like JPM does, and I did it on paper, just to be sure I was doing exactly what they are doing, so as not to be in contravention of the "law and established practice".

OTOH, stuff in hand? 99.5/1 S-G

IF I did possess any PM's I probably would also be wise enough not to post it on the internet.

Just sayin'....

Besides, this ratio has been asked about and handled in at least two other threads as I recall.

IF I did possess any PM's I probably would also be wise enough not to post it on the internet.

Just sayin'....

That is why I asked you post about what you, in theory, think is the optimum ratio. Personally, the only ratio of metals I keep in the house is the brass to lead ratio.

:wave:

If you are worried about g-men raiding your home I wouldn't worry about it.

If you are worried about your neighbors or acquaintances coming and raiding your home, that's a different story. That is why I advocate having your gold really well hidden and simply don't talk about it with anyone. Preferably, hide it in multiple locations.

That is why I asked you post about what you, in theory, think is the optimum ratio. Personally, the only ratio of metals I keep in the house is the brass to lead ratio.

:wave:
Actually you did ask in your first question what the forum's (read: people who post) current ratio is. And your poll question asks, "What is your current silver to gold ratio?" So the poll was not about what is ideal but what is your current s/g ratio. Your second question was then to post our ideal ratio. I get the concept and have asked that question over the years myself, mostly privately.

To answer that second question: What is the ideal ratio?
My answer in brief...
That truly depends on a person's situation, but in general one should strive for:
1. a minimum of 3 months' total living expenses held in cash (outside of any banking institution). From there an optimum would be working towards having 6 to 12 months.

2. a food supply to meet their household's needs for 3 months minimum.

3. savings held in PM's - the ratio between G and S is truly one of personal comfort, gold being a better store of value and silver being a better opportunity to increase the value of personal wealth through trading in the dips and rises if one is so inclined.

The G/S ratio is likely very different for each one based on when they started buying and how much disposable income they had to convert into metals at that time. A millionaire who got educated and then serious about storing wealth in PMs would have likely gone into gold more heavily in the last few years. A poorer person would have been more attracted to silver as they can at least buy an ounce here or there.

Finally, and this really should be a top priority ... GET OUT OF DEBT!!!
Trying to save money while having large amounts of debt is like trying to fill up the bathtub without putting in a plug.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom