Physical buying experience

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

H

hamsackbag

Howdy folks,
I thought i might give an accounting of my recent PM buying spree in the South Texas area. I went into a coin shop to buy silver. All there was in the store in my interest range were 4 generic .999 1oz "merry christmas 1983" type rounds,a few numismatic collectable pieces for more than double spot that do not interest me,some 40% silver and no gold at all. But the store wasn't empty, on the contrary there were 4 people ahead of me, selling various coins and jewelry and collectables. I waited for some for these sales to occur, and I picked up some freshly sold PMs. I would like to give a breakdown of pricing in my area to maybe compare with others around the globe. On the 23rd of November i was able to purchase .999 generic silver rounds for $33.75, American Silver Eagles for $35.60, 90% silver at $28.00 and a gold Maple for 1740.00.
How does this compare with anyone's recent adventures into the gritty world of Precious Metals? Any comments about the lack of physical, or the status of people selling collections and heirlooms?
And as an aside, does anyone find it ironic that Mr. T and rappers such as Sir Mix-a-lot had better financial advice than many of "The Smartest Guys in the World"

Silver Eagles for $35.60 - assuming spot around $32 - sounds like a very good deal for a local coin shop. You'd be hard pressed to beat ~$3.6 premium over spot + S&H online unless you bought in huge quantity. Last I checked, my LCS was charging around $5 over spot for an ASE.

My LCS sells ASE's for two eighty over and generic for a buck ten over. I like going there but he often is waiting on shipments, and will not sell to you at current spot and allow you to come back when it comes in. I prefer Gainesville coins or Apmex for larger orders. I do not buy gold, therefore I cannot offer intelligent discussion about it.

WOW, you guys who can get ASEs for just $3.00 or so over spot, that is very good. Under 10% over spot.

Excellent purchase!

DCRB, Most times, when he actually does have ASE's, he limits buys to ten ounces because the waiting list is huge. If you're buying fat orders, Apmex will deal with yoy but you need to call them on orders like that. I believe Tulving has pretty low premiums, but I've never had enough dough to fulfil the order minimum of 500 ounces.

Back
Top Bottom