Space mining? Conspiracy?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

escobar

Predaceous Stink Bug
Reaction score
Maybe I am reading too much into this news but I find it so odd that a bunch of billionares think its a good use of time and money to mine space. I could see if they thought there was some new untapped energy source and some mineral or element that could be found that would greatly improve the health of people or cure diseases. In the few articles I have read they specifically mention Gold and Silver. This seems far from something that the world urgently needs.

Curious what your thoughts are?

Yeah i heard an interview on the radio about this.

They were talking about ways to make a space station and using a meteorite or two as a source of building materials with the added bonus of some pm's to possibly pay towards the project.

The real breakthrough for such ideas to evolve, is the means of getting people and other payloads up to orbit.

Arthur C Clarkes space ladder still gets mentioned occasionally.
Perhaps graphene will offer the strength / weight characteristics required .....

Maybe I am reading too much into this news but I find it so odd that a bunch of billionares think its a good use of time and money to mine space. I could see if they thought there was some new untapped energy source and some mineral or element that could be found that would greatly improve the health of people or cure diseases. In the few articles I have read they specifically mention Gold and Silver. This seems far from something that the world urgently needs.

Curious what your thoughts are?

I guess it depends on their ROI. I don't think they've located anything new and life changing, but apparently there are entire rocks of platinum group metals floating around up there. I'd love to find a few million pounds of Rhodium.

I have heard many times that the survival of humanity depends on humans eventually leaving Earth. If we don't get taken out by a metor, plague or solar flares, etc... lol, we will eventually run out of natural resources, this could be a supplemental measure to delay the enevitable. But more likely a plan to get a few VERY rich people even more rich!! ;)

Yeah perhaps its just curiosity like people wanting to climb Everest. Just seems so odd to me. They specifically talk about resource scarcity etc. All the elements they mention:Nickel, Platnium Groups, gold etc hardly seem like urgent emergencies. Here we have nat gas at $2 and they are talking about going to the moon to find stuff. Oh well seems like a misallocation of resources to me.

Unless the ever degenerative silver ores change, and we find more reserves, we had better find a space elevator, STAT.

After all, silver is the 2nd most useful resource of earth. Oil is number one.

The odds of being able to land some sort of spacecraft on a target moving through space at thirty five times the speed of sound, mine some mineral that may or may not be present, then get that mineral back to earth, process it and market it for a competetive price..........approaches zero. ;-)

My two thoughts ($.02)

The ROI math seems very daunting to be able to mine anything out is space for a long, long time. Even if it is platinum silver or iridium (found in meteorites and asteroids).

Re some humanity leaving Earth, yes, I think that will be very important in the long-term survival of our species. We should be thinking more about this and planning...

OK: third thought:

A friend of mine told me he bases his vote (presidential candidate I presume) ONLY on who will spend the most on NASA (to get space exploration rolling). He reasons THAT will likely being the event that future historians will consider most important in looking at our era...

I have heard many times that the survival of humanity depends on humans eventually leaving Earth. If we don't get taken out by a metor, plague or solar flares, etc... lol, we will eventually run out of natural resources, this could be a supplemental measure to delay the enevitable. But more likely a plan to get a few VERY rich people even more rich!! ;)
Too bad these people that think that simply don't understand the facts.

Earth was created for man and vice versa. There is no place in the known universe that we could inhabit.

My comments interspersed below...

My two thoughts ($.02)

The ROI math seems very daunting to be able to mine anything out is space for a long, long time. Even if it is platinum silver or iridium (found in meteorites and asteroids).
Here's my prognostication. I will go on a limb here. The ROI will be 0%

Re some humanity leaving Earth, yes, I think that will be very important in the long-term survival of our species. We should be thinking more about this and planning...
This is sheer lunacy. (pardon the pun). Mankind needs to look after and care for the planet the Creator gave him and placed him upon in the first place.
What parent would think their kid is OK who doesn't want to clean his bedroom, so simply 'plans' to move into another room when the filth in the first is too great?

OK: third thought:

A friend of mine told me he bases his vote (presidential candidate I presume) ONLY on who will spend the most on NASA (to get space exploration rolling). He reasons THAT will likely being the event that future historians will consider most important in looking at our era...
You need to find wiser friends. That's one of the greatest excuses to run a budget deficit going. Simply a black hole for everyone's taxes to be sucked down.

Hi Jetstream,

I was expounding pretty much on space issues.

I quite agree that we need to repair our financial and governance systems here. If not, we will never get to the point where we can indeed leave. Clearly, we must not foul our nest here on Earth. It would take 100 years or so before we could be starting our way to "Star Trek", and that is if we do not mess everything up in the interim.

I've got other friends too. The one I mentioned is the same one who can fire 2000 rounds without even having to re-load... He has an enormous butterfly collection, an enormous gun collection and an enormous coin collection. He did not go to college, and they home-schooled their son. And, he is as ready as our own DCFusor to live in the 1800s. He is the only one I know who can tell me where each of the visible planets are at any given moment. He is an interesting man with interesting views.

We probably are not too far apart on the issue.
It does get me going when I listen to these characters who are all for space travel because they think that is the only way humanity will survive.
Enough of those fellas running around and the government has the excuse to waste another trillion bucks or so...

A couple interesting pieces of information in another article I read...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/24/science/space/in-pursuit-of-riches-and-travelers-supplies-in-the-asteroid-belt.html?_r=1#

Perhaps it will be a platinum rush that finally opens up the final frontier.

On Tuesday, a new company called Planetary Resources Inc. will unveil its plans to mine asteroids that zip close by Earth, both to provide supplies for future interplanetary travelers and to bring back precious metals like platinum.

Mr. Anderson declined to say exactly how much money the company has raised. “It’s plenty,” Mr. Anderson said. “The collective net worth of our investors is like $50 billion, and they know what they’re getting into.”

The plan is to launch the first spacecraft — a small telescope to find small nearby asteroids — within the next two years. Next, the company would send out a batch of small explorers to visit some of them. Actual mining would begin after that, first targeting water and then platinum.

From meteorites that have landed on Earth, scientists know that some asteroids have concentrations of platinum 20 times that of ore in a platinum mine on Earth. But the concentration of the platinum would still be tiny — perhaps a few hundred atoms per million — and the company would need to develop robotic technology to extract the element from the rocks

Drawing on nearby asteroids for natural resources is actually a very old idea.

In 1926, Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, a Russian scientist who worked out many of the basic requirements of rockets and space travel, listed colonization of the asteroid belt as number 12 of 16 steps in his “plan of space exploration.” Other dreamers have come along more recently.

“This is actually the fifth or sixth company that has been invented for purpose of doing it,” said John S. Lewis, a retired University of Arizona professor who wrote a 1997 book, “Mining the Sky” (Basic Books), that described much of what Planetary Resources is looking to do.

It does get me going when I listen to these characters who are all for space travel because they think that is the only way humanity will survive.

youre forgetting that all the telephone hygenists and hairdressers were put on the first ship evacuating the planet .........

think we can agree on a few other 'professions' to add to this list eh ? :wave:

Back
Top Bottom