Storing PM's

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

69mach351

Predaceous Stink Bug
Reaction score
Hey, thats right, another newbie question! How does everyone store their PMs? I am not talking about "in a coffee can in the back yard" or "in my boat" which seems to be a horrible place. I have a few small silver bars and a couple of silver eagles and I do not want them to tarish, but some of the holders look outrageous. Is there a cheap way to keep this from happening and still handle them from time to time?

I have seen the air-tite containers, but I would like to (some day) get a 5oz/10oz/etc. bar and would like to keep them all of the cases uniform if possible.

What brought this up, was I was at my LCS, and he had a 10oz bar and it was black as the night. I don't want that to happen.

Does this happen with gold as well?

Don't touch silver with your bare skin. The oils in your skin will tarnish the silver in time. I generally store .999 silver in plastic bags (like Ziploc). I use plastic mint "tubes" (containers) for coins/rounds.

Gold does not tarnish like silver does.

Thanks for the info! That bar I saw looked bad (still would have taken it though :wave: ) but I don't want it happening to my small amount of silver.

Thanks!

I never take my bars out of the plastic they come in. All of my bars still fit in a .30 caliber ammo can, which I stash in the safe. Like PM Bug, I keep me ASEs and similar rounds in mint tubes that each hold 20 rounds. Those are in another ammo can in the safe.

I have a few rounds in Air-Tite plastic clam-shell covers, which are nice because you can handle them, but that is way too costly for all of your bullion rounds.

I usually keep bars in whatever they come in, but some don't come in bags --- like Scottsdale. I don't worry about it.

I have some old bars, though, that were kept in their plastic and as they aged, the plastic became brittle, cracked, and let some air in to form a little tarnish. These are all about 20 years old. I guess I just don't worry about it too much.

Rounds / coins I keep in tubes. I have some nicer coins / numismatic pieces that I keep in air-tites.

Also, it's a total misconception that boats are a horrible place to store your PMs. *FACT* PMs never tarnish when kept on boats. PMs love boats. I've kept PMs on all of the boats I've owned and, unfortunately, lost.

;)

Does a regular polishing cloth remove the tarnish? Does it actually remove money or impact the value at all if it is tarnished or has been polished?

Tarnish does not affect bullion value. It might affect numismatic (collector) premiums. IMO, don't polish. A little tarnish isn't a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom