Tin Foil Hats, Economic Reality and the Total Perspective Vortex

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

GATAs Bill Murphy says JPM silver scandal to be bigger than Liborgate "by Christmas"

Last edited:
Bill Murphy is saying that news will be out before X-mas with regard to silver manipulation. a "bomb shell" story. I'm not holding my breath.. Heard that before :)

Hard to tell if Murphy was hinting that his buddy Bart Chilton & the CFTC has some timetable to take action / release news or if he is referring to one of the various JPM lawsuits bearing fruit. In any event, I'm with DSA - I'll believe it when I see it. I'm all "wolfed out".

To be clear, that's not to say that I'm not bullish on the prospects for gold and silver this winter and going forward. I just seriously doubt an "event" will suddenly make the price of silver suddenly jump gold and silver to the moon without warning. Especially not something from the US courts and/or wikileaks style documents being released.

Even as China tries to promote the Yuan as an international currency, Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has joined the effort of chipping away at the dollar's pre-eminent position as the world's currency. The central bank on Monday called for inclusion of emerging market currencies as alternative reserve currencies to the dollar.

Delivering the 46th A D Shroff Memorial Lecture in Mumbai on Tuesday, RBI governor D Subbarao said that the dollar's monopoly as a reserve currency had resulted in many countries facing a liquidity problem as foreign creditors and foreign investors turned risk averse. "Paradoxically, even as the US economy was in a downturn, and its central bank resorted to extraordinary quantitative easing, the dollar strengthened as a result of flight to safety," Subbarao said.

The governor pointed out that one alternative was to have a menu of reserve currencies. "But this cannot happen by fiat. To be a serious contender as an alternative, a currency has to fulfill some exacting criteria. It has to be fully convertible and its exchange rate should be determined by market fundamentals; It should acquire a significant share in world trade; The currency issuing country should have liquid, open and large financial markets and also the policy credibility to inspire the confidence of potential investors. In short, the 'exorbitant privilege' of a reserve currency comes with an 'exorbitant responsibility'," he said.

According to the governor, another option of developing special drawing rights (SDRs) - an overdraft facility that countries have with the International Monetary Fund to get credit denominated in dollars, pounds, euro or the yen - is not a feasible option as SDRs would have to be automatically acceptable as a medium of payment in cross-border transactions, it should be freely tradeable and its price has to be determined by forces of demand and supply.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...eeks-alternative-to-/articleshow/17302585.cms

The Obama administration on Tuesday said China's currency remained "significantly undervalued" but stopped short of labeling the world's second-biggest economy a currency manipulator.

In a congressionally mandated semi-annual report, the U.S. Treasury noted that yuan had risen 12.6 percent against the U.S. dollar in inflation-adjusted terms since June 2010. An official said it was up 9.7 percent on a nominal basis through Tuesday, when it closed at a record high.

Although Beijing keeps the yuan, also known as the renminbi, in a tight trading band, the Treasury said China did not meet the legal requirements to be deemed a currency manipulator. The label is largely symbolic but would require Washington to open discussions with Beijing on adjusting the yuan's value.

The Chinese government had "substantially" reduced its intervention in foreign exchange markets since the third quarter of 2011 and loosened capital controls, the Treasury said in the report, which examines the currency practices of major U.S. trading partners.

"In light of these developments, Treasury has concluded that the standards ... have not been met with respect to China," it said. "Nonetheless, the available evidence suggests the renminbi remains significantly undervalued."

http://news.yahoo.com/u-withholds-china-currency-manipulator-label-211030381--business.html

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/yuan-...RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

"China is clearly seeking to internationalize the renminbi. It has a sequenced strategy: use in trade settlements first, use for specified investment purposes second, use as reserves third,"

"And it's been a big year for the currency, with swap deals agreed with Australia, Russia, Japan and Brazil. The China Development Bank has made steps to offer loans to BRIC nations using the yuan, the China Construction Bank launched a yuan bond in London on Friday and the Japanese yen has recently become directly exchangeable with the currency."

"The basis of U.S. power could be weakened," he said, explaining that the dollar as the world's reserve currency gives the U.S. great potential and helps it to finance its overseas actions (military, aid, investment etc.) at very low cost.

"There are many uncertainties about how the U.S. will respond to the dollar's possible loss of dominant status. We are therefore not sure whether the transformation of international monetary system will take place smoothly and peacefully."

Oh snap!

"The world is headed toward a new reserve currency,either backed by the IMF SDRs (special drawing rights) , or some other neutral basket," he said.

Precious metals are the only *neutral* "basket".

The head of the Bank of England warned on Monday that too many countries were trying to weaken their currencies to offset the impact of the slow global economy and the trend could grow next year.

"You can see, month by month, the addition to the number of countries who feel that active exchange rate management, always to push their exchange rate down, is growing," Mervyn King said in a speech.
The irony is King bitches about exchange rate management while encouraging Bernanke to do the same, and doing the same himself.

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2012/12/bank-of-england-warns-of-global.html

Edit: Mr. King has made a lot of interesting (from a central banker anyway) comments. He also advocated the abolition of fractional reserve banking.

From October:
A "renminbi bloc" has been formed in East Asia, as nations in the region abandon the US dollar and peg their currency to the Chinese yuan — a major signal of China's successful bid to internationalize its currency, a research report has said.

The Peterson Institute for International Economics, or PIIE, said in its latest research that China has moved closer to its long-term goal for the renminbi to become a global reserve currency.

Since the global financial crisis, the report said, more and more nations, especially emerging economies, see the yuan as the main reference currency when setting their exchange rate.

And now seven out of 10 economies in the region — including South Korea, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand — track the renminbi more closely than they do the US dollar. Only three economies in the group — Hong Kong, Vietnam, and Mongolia — still have currencies following the dollar more closely than the renminbi, said the report, posted on the institute's website.

More: http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2012-10/24/content_15840495.htm

Oh snap!

"The world is headed toward a new reserve currency,either backed by the IMF SDRs (special drawing rights) , or some other neutral basket," he said.

Precious metals are the only *neutral* "basket".

According to Rickards, it is SDRs first, and when the SDRs fail (backed by even more nothing, than US dollars - US $ is at least backed by the Treasury/Government/IRS ability to make tax slaves of all Americans), it is game on for :gold:. I tend to agree, from purely common sense point of view - of course they will try to keep some kind of paper currency the King - smoke and mirrors should work for a while, again.

Ambrose Evans-Pritchard said:
The Swiss and UK central banks are effectively fighting a low-intensity currency war against each other. It has come to this.

One awaits with curiosity to see what will happen when Japan -- 15 times the size -- kicks in with its own nuclear plans to drive down the yen, and Asia follows suit.

The latest IMF data of central bank holdings shows the biggest jump in sterling bonds held by advanced central banks ever recorded. It jumped from $79 billion to $98 billion in the third quarter.

These holdings are usually stable so it is obvious that the SNB is responsible. The Swiss are already sated on eurobonds as they frantically intervene to hold the franc at E1.20. By their own admission they have been diversifying energetically.

Analysts say the SNB has already bought $80 billion of EMU bonds, enough to cover half the budget deficits of Euroland over the last year. The SNB has been acting essentially as a conduit for capital flight from Italy to Germany.

It has since branched out, allegedly into Aussies, Loonies (Canada), Scandies -- Won?, Real? -- but above all pounds. "There aren't many places to go in this 'ugly contest' if you don't like the euro, dollar, or yen," said David Bloom, currency chief at HSBC.

"Everybody is trying to weaken their currency at the same time. The Swiss have got away with it and now the Japanese want to try. The Sandinavians are pulling their hair out. The Turks are cutting rates even though their economy is overheating and putting in credit controls instead because they don’t want the currency to rise."

"Policymakers are doing things that if you had suggested four years ago they would have put you in a straitjacket and thrown you in a cell. I don't rule out anything any longer in this market. Desperate times lead to desperate acts," he said.

More: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/financ...tzerland-and-britain-are-now-at-currency-war/

Switzerland is in a unique position in the currency war: Our goverment is running budget surpluses, we have a debt/GDP of 40%, our currency has gone from EUR/CHF 1.67 to EUR/CHF 1.20 in just 5 years and we're still having quite impressive trade and current account surpluses. The only real issue are our tbtfb UBS and CS which are about 6x times the size of our GDP. We have recapitlized them, though. Their capital base is now about 3x times stronger than those of the Eurozone tbtfb. Our capital requirements are stronger than Basel III. The other major financial hubs haven't even implemented Basel III yet.

I don't really see how the UK can win a currency war against us with these circumstances.

Sprott Inc. President Kevin Bambrough said:
The burning question that I always have, I’m amazed at their ongoing willingness to continue to accumulate, and hold, such large amounts of US denominated bonds. It’s been my view that they are basically playing a Ponzi scheme.

I’ve had that confirmed when I’ve had long discussions with different sovereign wealth funds and different government agencies around the world. They’ve been willing to play this game, but more and more now, as their domestic economies have grown and the US portion of their exports becomes smaller, and with the amount of T-Bills that they have (already) accumulated, I believe they’ve reached the boiling point where they are really going to be unwilling to grow their reserves (of US Treasuries).
I ask them, ‘Do you actually imagine that this next generation, that’s very frustrated with the current situation, is going to go to work in the US and produce more goods than they will consume so that they can pay back the debt and honor the T-Bills that you currently hold? Does anybody actually believe that’s going to happen?’

It’s quite funny because often these conversations occur with a translator, so it takes a little bit of time to go back and forth, and I always enjoy watching how the expressions change on the (faces) of the people in the meeting. Half of the time they don’t know whether to laugh or to cry because they realize they are in a very precarious position.

They hold huge quantities of paper that will ultimately become worthless. They generally are all agreeing and saying, ‘Yes we realize this is a huge problem.’ And that if they start spending that money, what will it do? A loss of confidence in the currency (the US dollar) will occur, and it will spur other nations to dump (the dollar).

I asked the Chinese, ‘What would you do if the Japanese were aggressively selling all of their T-Bills, and buying up companies and gold?’ I asked the same question to the Koreans. These countries view themselves in an economic resource war already. They realize they have to go out and acquire (hard assets such as gold).”

http://kingworldnews.com/kingworldn...his_Is_About_To_Rock_The_Financial_World.html

Here's a report commissioned by the World Gold Council as "part of a series of reports analysing the role of gold in the International Monetary System."

Gold, the renminbi and the multi-currency reserve system

The world is preparing for possible twin shocks from the parlous position of the two main reserve currencies, the dollar and the euro. As China weighs up its options for joining in the reserve asset game, gold – the official asset that plays no formal part in the monetary system, yet has never really gone away – is poised, once again, to play a pivotal role. Many dismiss gold as a relic of the past or as an inadequate hedge against inflation. But from an asset management point of view, as well as on the basis of political analysis, gold has a lot going for it; it correlates negatively with the greenback, and no other reserve asset seems safe from the coming dollar shock.

More (.PDF): http://www.omfif.org/downloads/Gold, the renminbi and the multi-currency reserve system.pdf

Somebody tell me how paranoid I am - or am I?

Hello guys,

here's the thought: remember, how O'bummer was caught on tape, when his microport was accidentally on, while talking to the Medvedev, on "having more flexibility in his second turn", and Medvedev dutyfully promising to "pass this information to Vladimir" (his dad, no doubt, surely not Putin!).

I wonder what deals might have been done, if few months later, the best shows on Russia TV started to disappear from air (The Aliona Show first, now Capital Account). I mean, I am not naive enough to think for a second, than Russia Today has very clear propaganda goals on their own, nor that they are anything but "independent" from Russia govt (there's no such thing in Russia, as "independent from the govt). Nonetheless, these were the best shows to watch, and the hub around which both free market proponents, and liberty proponents were gravitating.

Somebody tell me how off the paranoia scale I am?

Run Bushi ! :flail:

they know what you are thinking and are coming to get you :wave:

edit -
its too easy to buy into the extremes of opinion, either accepting everything the msm puts out or conversely assuming its all lies.
Theres plenty of evidence to support both views and I reckon the 'truth' lies somewhere in between.
I tend towards cockup and chaos with a good bunch of cynicism to explain things.
Sure theres some smart cookies out there but when you see their short term thinking in action daily, it seems a stretch to have them all working to a master plan. For one thing this means they have to trust each other !

And it gets a whole lot easier when you stop worrying about it all and deal with what is.
Ok I admit, I still ponder what might be ......... possibly more than I need to

Last edited:
It is great to see main stream media even discussing the possibility that all this money printing may be cause inflation eventually...
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/inves...RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

Schiff continues to highlight that the formula for CPI has changed over the years, making it even more inaccurate, but added that U.S. trade deficits and foreign central bank dollar accumulation mean that much of the printed money in QE winds up in foreign bank vaults, not shopping centers.

"As foreign consumer goods flow in, and dollars flow out, a lid is kept on domestic prices," he said.

Foreign countries investing in US. debt means that inflation is effectively exported. Those countries recycle their surpluses into U.S. Treasuries, according to Schiff, as seen by the current low bond yields of under 2 percent.

China remains the largest holder of U.S. government debt, although Japan ramped up its investment during 2012. Over the year, Japan's pace of buying accelerated with its treasury holdings rising from $907 billion to $1.121 trillion, the Financial Times reported.

"When the flows reverse, bond prices will fall, yields will climb, and a tidal wave of dollars will wash up on American shores, drowning consumers in a sea of inflation," Schiff said.

China, as we know it, has pulled stop on further T Bills purchases, Japan seems to be a Fed vassal state forever (or maybe just since WWII), so yes, they were ramping up together with the Fed to make up for the lost Chinese demand, but here's next stage in the Currency Wars - Prime Minister Abe wants Japan CB to weaken Yen, and ramp up domestic inflation. How they will do that, while still propping up the US $ (ie buying TBills), is a mystery to me :flail: One will have to give, either weakening the Yen, or propping up the US TBills. It only depends, who has more influency on Japanese CB - PMin Abe, or the Fed :popcorn:

The Russian central bank will continue to buy gold as it seeks to diversify its foreign reserves away from paper assets it views as risky, First Deputy Chairman Alexei Ulyukayev said on Thursday.

The Bank of Russia has built up the world's fourth-largest foreign reserves, worth $530 billion, by buying oil export dollars to keep the rouble competitive. The hoard includes two rainy-day budget funds that guard against fiscal shocks.

The bank has also been a bullion buyer and the share of gold in its reserves is approaching a medium-term target of 10 percent, raising questions over whether it would keep buying gold.

Ulyukayev, speaking during the World Economic Forum, said the central bank would continue to buy gold, but gave no indication on whether there would be any change in the share of its reserves it allocates to the precious metal.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/24/russia-cbank-idUSL6N0AT41J20130124

The Bank of England is prepared in principle to become the first G7 central bank to enter into a foreign exchange swap agreement with China, opening the door to another substantial step in moves to liberalise the yuan currency.
It would be the latest in a string of bilateral currency agreements that China has signed in the past three years to promote use of the yuan in trade and investment.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/01/24/uk-britain-yuan-idUKBRE90N11520130124

The return of the 1930's style currency war!
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/curre...RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

"As countries try to weaken their currencies to boost exports, the risk of a currency war similar to events seen in the 1930s has heightened and policymakers are making sure they are on the winning side, according to Morgan Stanley."

"The U.K. was the first to leave the gold standard on September 19, 1931 due to painfully high unemployment. Sterling depreciated, setting off a volatile chain of events with the U.S., Norway, Sweden, France and Germany all following suit."

Does anyone remember what happened after the 1930 currency war that impoverished millions?
:(

The Group of Seven nations are considering saying they won’t target exchange rates when setting policy as they try to calm concern the world is on the brink of a currency war, two officials from G-7 countries said.

Finance officials from the world’s key industrial economies have drafted a statement on currencies now being reviewed by senior policy makers, they said on condition of anonymity. The current wording, which still may be changed, combines the traditional backing for market-set exchange rates with a new line that governments don’t direct fiscal or monetary policy at driving currencies, one aide said.

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s push for more aggressive monetary policy has raised concern abroad that his government is directly seeking to weaken the yen, something it denies. In the talks, Japan has questioned the statement’s contents -- which would mark a strengthening in rhetoric from the G-7’s last joint comment in 2011 -- as it doesn’t want to be singled out for criticism, another official from a G-7 nation said, also on the basis they not be named.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...atement-to-calm-concerns-of-currency-war.html

Video report: http://www.bloomberg.com/video/g-7-...ement-before-g-20-yB7dh4dNTTqeEInhzQVSxw.html

Currency manipulators! /Romney

The U.S dollar is shrinking as a percentage of the world's currency supply, raising concerns that the greenback is about to see its long run as the world's premier denomination come to an end.

When compared to its peers, the dollar has drifted to a 15-year low, according to the International Monetary Fund, indicating that more countries are willing to use other currencies to do business.

While the American currency still reigns supreme -- it constitutes $3.72 trillion, or 62 percent, of the $6 trillion in allocated foreign exchange holdings by the world's central banks -- the Japanese yen, Swiss franc and what the IMF classifies as "other currencies" such as the Chinese yuan are gaining.

"Generally speaking, it is not believed by the vast majority that the American dollar will be overthrown," Dick Bove, vice president of equity research at Rafferty Capital Markets, said in a note. "But it will be, and this defrocking may occur in as short a period as five to 10 years."

Bove uses several metrics to make his point, focusing on the dollar as a percentage of total world money supply.That total has plunged from nearly 90 percent in 1952 to closer to 15 percent now. He also notes that the Chinese yuan, the yen and the euro each have a greater share of that total.

More: http://www.cnbc.com/id/100461159

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/brea...1lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25zBHRlc3QDVGVzdF9BRkM-;_ylv=3

"There's a currency war being waged and Peter Schiff of Euro Pacific Capital has some good news and bad for America. On the positive side Schiff thinks the U.S. is in position to win this particular conflict in a big way. Alas, that's not quite as positive as it initially seems.

"Unlike a conventional war, the objective in a currency is to kill yourself," Schiff declares."

"Other countries have now gotten on board the debasement bandwagon but Schiff says they won't be able to compete with the U.S. for long.

"We're going to win the war which means Americans are going to lose," he concludes."

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/brea...1lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25zBHRlc3QDVGVzdF9BRkM-;_ylv=3

"The Bank of England attributed the inflation to factors outside of its control and vowed to keep rates low lest it risk derailing the largely theoretical recovery. Inflation coupled with economic contraction is the definition of one of the scariest words in finance: Stagflation.

According to Schiff, the U.S. is actually in worse shape. The U.S. has the benefit of being the world's reserve currency. As such we can print much longer than the BoE without losing a market for our debt. In other words, England has to face the music while the U.S. keeps dancing.

"You live by the printing press, you die by the printing press," Schiff cries."

welcome to the new recession

...if you are tired of BLS' BS, try that one: according to Bidermann's statistics, US of A have just officially re-entered recession:

At ~2:40 he explains his methodology, with explanation of why BLS initial claims are garbage, and why BLS' final revised numbers are in the order of 100% or more off the initial claims.

Last edited:
Japan recently ramped up monetary debasement of the Yen. Their moves were aggressive enough to provide some theater at the latest G20 meeting (see above in post #146). Now it seems that China is reaching the end of it's patience:
... As the WSJ reports,"The president of China's giant sovereign-wealth fund warned Japan against using its neighbors as a "garbage bin" by deliberately devaluing the yen, joining growing international griping about a potential currency war."

More: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-...n-warns-japan-against-using-china-garbage-bin

Jim Willie making some wild claims:
We have an attack announced on Mali in North Africa to wrest gold & uranium timed when the Germans asked for repayment of their gold reserves. The quantities really fit. There was a suspicious comment by the French and British saying it will be repaid in 7 years. 300 tons over 7 years is approximately what Mali produces in gold that will cover almost exactly the German repayment. That was organized by France and the US.
http://www.silverdoctors.com/jim-wi...gold-to-meet-bundesbank-repatriation-request/

Where would that gold normally go? Surely this would be easy to verify, if true, in the coming months as gold from Mali doesn't flow through it's normal channels.

Where would that gold normally go? Surely this would be easy to verify, if true, in the coming months as gold from Mali doesn't flow through it's normal channels.
If it was a Western mining company, it wouldn't make sense. It has to be state owned operation or several small local mines.
It looks like the Malian Government owns 20% of all major mines while AngloGoldAshanti and Randgold are holding the other 80%.
http://www.mbendi.com/indy/ming/gold/af/ml/p0005.htm

Mali has produced 42 tons in 2009.
http://www.indexmundi.com/minerals/?country=ml&product=gold&graph=production
20% of that is just 8.4 tons.
I don't think that AGA and RG are giving away their production for free.
JW's math seems to include it, though.

Re:

I think there are also some drawbacks of the currency strengthening.Like japan have a great problem in his exporting because their currency strengthen quickly and they have to face many problem while they export any thing like they receive less revenue when the currency rates change.

Peter - that's the reason there is a "race to the bottom". When your neighbors are devaluing their currencies (QE, monetary easing, etc.), it forces you to do the same and thus perpetuates a downward spiral.

...and that's why it would be very good to have some universal, independent arbiter of VALUE, some anchor of value, impervious to the manipulations of idiot politicians - i.e. some sort of :gold: standard. They could devalue their paper currencies all they want, it would NOT buy them ANY votes, because there will be a direct link between the amount of money being printed and loss of purchasing power in the society.

But we will get there, eventually, anyway.

Lot's of stuff happening around the globe and it's being reported/discussed in various threads here, but I wanted to take a moment and talk about the big picture (helicopter view).

At first, it seemed to me that Cyprus was just another big story - a potential black swan ala Greece CDS and the derivatives dominoes. But given the persistent and growing news about "bail-ins" across the Eurozone, New Zealand and now Canada, it's apparent that there is something else going on. This looks like a paradigm shift to me.

Jim Sinclair says central bankers are trying to herd sheep - to get folks to move funds out of banks and into the economy and increase the velocity of money (to increase inflation). I have a hard time balancing that idea with the understanding that an outflow of depositor funds is going to destroy bank balance sheets (reserves). It's not like they are healthy enough to meet Basel III requirements.

Why in the world would folks with political classes pushing a "bail-in" agenda still allow their banks to gamble in derivatives and other risk markets with their money? Folks around the world should be demanding Glass Steagal laws to ensure banks stay true to a fiduciary responsibility (which apparently no longer exists).

The only real takeaway I get from all this is - better to be safe than sorry. Don't put wealth at risk. Physical metals in the hand are better than electronic zeros and ones in a bank's computer.

Back
Top Bottom