Turk compares silver's historical price with Apple

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Unobtanium

Big Eyed Bug
Reaction score
Interesting comparison. One thing I noticed though that is strange is that he plots silver on a log scale and Apple on a linear scale.

http://kingworldnews.com/kingworldn..._Suggests_Massive_Move_for_Silver_&_Gold.html

The other thing you and I have done is regularly compare silver to Apple to highlight silver's upside potential. To illustrate this point for KWN readers, I've prepared the following chart which shows that upside potential.

What I have done is overlaid the silver price on Apple's share price, but lagged silver by 40 months. The purpose is to show the big correction in Apple back in 2007-2009 and compare it to silver's present correction, which is the area I have circled. Who, back then, would have thought shares of Apple would climb from $80 to over $600? When the strength of a major bull market is viewed this way, my long-term target of $400 for silver looks quite reasonable. More importantly, I think the underlying fundamentals also make that target reasonable.

2ibj1ux.jpg

Last edited:
Comparing variable X to the log of variable Y is actually a common way to scaling to make two variables on the same order of magnitude.

However, comparing Apple to Silver is not "Apples to Apples" :D

Lets look at the three drivers of price for either:

1) Inflation: This would cause both to rise; people run to stocks during times of inflation as well as metals

2) Demand/Use: Apple is producing many of the hottest items on the market right now. Silver is more tied to the general economy, since it is used as a base input into many items. This would explain why he had to lag the two by 40 months.

3) Herd Mentality: The herd likes Apple and is pushing up the stock price, while most people you meet think silver along the lines of cheap jewlery

Back
Top Bottom