Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Buy on paper only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

69mach351

Predaceous Stink Bug
Reaction score
I am just curious what people what form people like to purchase their PMs in and why. Coins can be rare, have an artistic design, are more collected, but you pay a premium for them. Bars are usually cheaper, if only slightly, but offer you a way to purchase PMs in bulk and store it easier. Does it matter? Do you buy your PMs on paper?

I by no means have a collection going on, but would consider buying a few items if the price/time was right. What types of things do you or friends consider when purchasing?

Last edited:
There are actually 3 forms of physical metal commonly held:
  • Private mint bars
  • Private mint rounds
  • Government mint coins
There is a difference between rounds (straight bullion) and coins (technically legal tender).

Personally, I like a little bit of diversity and like a little bit of each. OK.. I'd like more than just a little bit...

There are actually 3 forms of physical metal commonly held:
  • Private mint bars
  • Private mint rounds
  • Government mint coins
There is a difference between rounds (straight bullion) and coins (technically legal tender).

Personally, I like a little bit of diversity and like a little bit of each. OK.. I'd like more than just a little bit...

I still have a lot to learn :flail:

I'm holding a lot of my own stash in oddball forms, kind of "dual use" if you will.
I have gold as coins, foils, wire, and mostly gold plating solution (gallons of the stuff).
Silver the same.
Pt and Pd, foils and wires.

I figure they are a little less likely theft objects, and those are the forms I use anyway in the lab - I just buy lots more than the lab requires.

I trade paper gold etc. It's not my core holdings though, just a trade.

I pick up coins now and then... but mostly bars here.

I had to have a few of the 2012 Britannia's this year. I really like that design. I also have some maples and silver eagles kicking around, but they are outnumbered by bars.

ADK

I get the following message when I try to vote. Reloading the page does not help.

Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.

I get the following message when I try to vote. Reloading the page does not help.

Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.

Try deleting all your cookies (which will log you out), clearing your browser cache and then logging in from the home page. Then open this thread and see if you can vote. That error indicates some issue with your browser cache and cookies best I can tell.

Actually, I have a LOT of tungsten in various forms, pure, and alloyed with rhenium or thorium. Handy in the physics lab indeed. I use W/5%Re wire, .0005" diameter to make gas-proportional detectors. I have 5km of that on a 2" spool. Dangerous stuff - sharp as a knife edge but still strong enough to go right through skin if you get caught up in it.

As well as Yttrium, Erbium, Gallium, Mercury, Gadolinium, Thallium, Zirconium, Hafnium, Indium, Germanium, Antimony, Tin, Lithium, Sodium, Lead, Nickel, Cobalt, Copper...and so forth. All are "precious" if you need that particular thing.

Your spread of rare earths are probably the best store of value of all of us here DCF.

And delighted to learn you have Tungsten.

Now, having shared with us the range of capabilities you have developed in your lab and your personal skill set, what stops you from making awesome coin replicas ?

I like DC.......he's that scary smart fucker that you always want to make sure you haven't pissed off!

I like to think I am that guy in my own neighborhood sometimes........then I read DC's posts and snap out of it.. ; - p

Aw shucks, guys. No worries, ancona - you're a bro - anytime, anyplace.

I'm not the type to counterfeit, that's all. It's just not the kind of thing that pops up in my mind, except when I'm "red teaming" to predict the actions of a bad actor; so it doesn't get done to me, in other words. I'm a good guy (I hope). I like sleeping well.

But gheesh, gold coins would be the last thing I'd ever do if I WERE dishonest - think it through! The people who'd buy them are not the sort you'd want to really piss off.

Don't they all have guns and a certain twinge of fanaticism too? I'd rather piss off a government than that crowd! The government sometimes gives "due process" after all...Sell a few people a buncha fake coins - almost as sure a death sentence as shooting a cop on camera. I really don't make those sorts of plans!

I knew that you would not do this on a commercial scale but wondered if you were up for the intellectual challenge of creating something as good as fort knox's best and seeing what the coin shop made of it ..........

As you say, theres plenty of ways of making a living that dont involve potentially nasty people

And i love the term 'red teaming'
Its something i do to immerse myself into someone elses mind and try and predict their moves.

Got to remove judgement ( cos its only an extention of your thinking) and try to become them.

My mistake has been discussing some of these immersions, cos folk sometimes get the idea that im planning on doing what i think someone else might be planning ........

Suprisingly accurate on many occasions.

Back
Top Bottom