What is the optimum ratio of G/S/C?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Jetstream

Big Eyed Bug
Reaction score
This subject will likely have as many answers as posters. But it is a valuable one to hear other opinions on. I am still looking at the issue for myself, but am interested in the thoughts of others.

By percentages (valued in current dollars), how much would you advise holding in:
1. Silver
2. Gold
3. Cash

As important as PMs are, a certain amount of cash is still advisable in my opinion, but I am amazed at the varying amounts suggested by different gold/silver bugs that I have talked to.

So ... let the debate begin.

I guess it depends on what kind of emergency you are preparing for.

An interruption to fuel supply that stops the food trucks for a while and very quickly everything gets grabbed and things go bad. Eventually things get moving again but a LOT of damage has been done.
So perhaps a 90 day self sufficiency and the means to purchase, which would most likely be cash.

Another scenario would be hyperinflation / failure of paper. This would require a longer period of time to run its course and would evolve from paper transactions to physical things. Plenty of everything in advance then but a chance to see it coming and probably the basis of discussion for the opening question.

Total SHTF ? Dunno that it really matters how much shiny you have, because now skills are the thing of value.

I view this question as essentially the same as the stack size question.

I would say cash is the only one of the 3 that has a hard (not percentage terms) upper limit. You want enough cash to be able to live/pay bills for X number of months should bank holidays materialize. You want to secure useful things (land, tools, etc.) and anything left over goes into safekeeping/storage (ie. PMs).

I think the ratio of gold - silver holdings is really going to depend upon how much wealth you want to store. Silver works great until you acquire so much that it's hard to hide / move around.

YMMV.

@ rblong2us:
For me it is not primarily preparing for emergency, although that is factored in to my long range thinking.
It is for retirement / wealth preservation / emergencies / leaving inheritance all combined. Personally, I have pretty much viewed cash as simply a tool for immediate expenses and for a period of time should there be a need. How long a period of time does one need to have cash for? I hear everything from 3 months to a full year of living expenses. I am leaning toward the shorter time frame of those two because long before the year was up, something would develop.

@ PMBug:
This is similar to the stack size question but enough different that I didn't want to hijack that thread.
This has to do with what ratios / percentages go into the total 'stack'.
I have believed that silver would rise to its historic G/S ratio of closer to 20:1 from its current 50:1. That would make sense to buy silver now, and trade it for gold as the ratio narrows.

For a time then one's personal stack would be heavily into silver, but perhaps you should just buy the gold even though silver seems the better buy right now.

$.02

I keep enough cash to cover the "emergency" fun. Usually you hear 3-6 months as a minimum, but I prefer 9-12 months as a personal preference. You never know what will happen or when it will happen, but eventually you will have a need for cash RIGHT NOW (auto repair, medical expenses, .....) When this happens, what happens if it the day after a metal price take down?!

As far as a break down of investments between the metals, that is largely influenced by personal preference and reasons for investing. Wealth preservation, investing, inflation hedge, emergency preperation, .....

I personally look at the ratios between the 4 precious metals. While I have a personal long term goal chosen for my personal silver to gold ratio, I still consider what is relatively cheaper ratio-wise.

Example:
My currently holdings of platinum exceed my long term ratio goal, but it is still VERY tempting based on extremely abnormal ratios compared to both silver and gold.

Back
Top Bottom