• Platinum

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Palladium

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other?

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

benjamen

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
In honor of this mainstream article's idea:
http://www.pmbug.com/forum/f2/gold-apple-1086/

Lets do our own "which would you rather have"

If you were going to recieve a gift of ~10k USD worth of precious metals that you could not resell for at least five years, which metal would you take the gift in?

At current prices:
Gold ~6 ounces
Silver ~341 ounces
Platinum ~7 ounces
Palladium ~16 ounces

VOTE!
:popcorn:

:gold:

6 ounces is easy to carry. :)

I'm with ancona --- I like silver.

It's hard for me to look at one ounce of gold next to a stack of 50 ounces of silver and take the ounce of gold.

Then again, I like a little gold, too.

ADK

Right now I think I'd take it in Rhodium. But really, any other choice is totally fine by me!

There's no "yes' answer. Doesn't matter to me. Pd and Pt are among the most useful in my lab, and currently the hardest to get at anything like spot in the forms I need.
Johnson-Matthey are real pricks to retail chemists.

You can always swap one for another with someone, so my answer is "yes".

I picked gold.. I like silver but as was mentioned above, it's fairly hard to transport.

I personally picked Platinum. Long term, it is much rarer that gold and should revert to be worth more per ounce. Also, like gold it is much easier to carry that an equal value amount of silver.

FWIW, in a recent development, chemists have found that single gold atoms on a substrate become catalytic in similar ways to bulk Pt or Pd, maybe better. The arrangement is a little tough to produce (gold likes to clump), and won't use all that much - being not even a monomolecular layer (there has to be space between the Au atoms) but might represent a reasonably significant industrial gold demand going forward..
http://phys.org/news/2012-05-finest-gold-world.html

I'm sure at some point, when the silver stack gets big enough, I may switch to buying more gold.

Heck, I might swap some for gold if the ratio closes up...

I just like that shiny silver. I always have and never had a really good reason.

:shrug:

....personally, I'd go 50/50, gold/silver, that is a little artificial requirement to chose one of these only. Than if forced to... I don't know... It is really hard, but I think I'd go with gold - for the same reason, portability.

As a "gift" I'd welcome any PM's.
Maybe a better question.
What PM's would you buy with $10K of your own in these volatile times.

GOD BLESS & BRING OUR TROOPS HOME!!!

Last edited:
white powder of gold for me (-;

or the philosophers stone, which can be used to turn other base metals into gold

oops, wrong forum :D

Gold by a whisker over platinum. But why not own them all?

LOL, rblong2us!

@ DCFusor, interesting info about gold as a catalyst.

If I had to choose one, I would pick gold. If I could split it, I would do gold and platinum. Silver is relatively cheap in comparison so an average person could buy some a little at a time if they wanted.

Back
Top Bottom