Cajamarca, Peru

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

DoChenRollingBearing

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
Hey, gang it has been a while! We are in Cajamarca, Peru now. I was not sure where to start this, but Cajamarca has a BIG TIME history (and present history) re gold.

The Conga (BIG proposed gold) mine, currently suspended, but they want to mine it anyway. Some locals want it (jobs), some do not (pollution).

The Inca King Atahualpa was ransomed by Pizarro for 5000 kg of gold and 12,000 kg of silver. The Incas paid up. Pizarro garrotted him anyway...

Tomorrow I visit the Editor of the Cajamarca newspaper, I will interview HIM!

I hope to write a piece by about Saturday when we are back in Lima.

The food here is really good.....

BEST to all of you here at pmbug!

Look forward to your write-up DCRB. :)

I have written the first of three pieces on Cajamarca. This first one is mostly about the history and tourism kind of stuff. Pictures! Including the "Cuarto de Rescate" where the Spaniards got their 5000 kg of gold and 12,000 kg of silver as ransom for Atahualpa (he was fighting his brother in a brutal civil war to see who would be king, no "Noble Savage" there, hey, we´re all alike in many ways...). Pizarro then went on to strangle (garrotte) Atahualpa, the lyin´ bastid...

Great food, nice people, lots of gold nearby (I will go into more detail on that in my article with the interview with their newspaper editor, hey THIS TIME I asked the questions!).

Cajamarca, like much of Peru, is so beautiful it almost makes you want to cry... Or was it the 8900´altitude? Or all the rain?

http://tinyurl.com/a7gustf

Last edited:
Nice! Great pics and story.

I interview the Editor, not the other way around :)

My second installment of Cajamarca, this time I write up my interview with the Editor of their regional newspaper (Panorama Cajamarquino).

Jaime Abante is one of those guys you run into on occasion: "a gentleman and a scholar". That seems so rare nowadays...

He gave me two hours plus of his time to learn about gold mining (the current mine Yanacocha, the largest in S. America) and the prospects for the MUCH bigger Conga deposit, unfortunately located beneath Andean lakes that the locals depend on... And many other things about their regional economy and about mining and Peru as a whole.

And if Peru gets their Michiquillay (I love Quechua words, I really do, Quechua is the language most connected to NATURE that I have ever looked into) copper mine up and running as planned, Peru will surpass Chile as the world´s No. 1 producer of copper.

http://tinyurl.com/apttqe2

Back
Top Bottom