FOMC takedown

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

This kind of reminds me of the time Michael Jackson held his baby over the hotel balcony railing and the crowd gasped, and then he pulled the baby back in. So is the Fed going to drop the baby? Of course not.

Ah ok..I get it...the Fed isn't going to stop QE till maybe the end of 2014 and all is well.

=

Gold and Silver take yet another dump! :doodoo:

Oh well..nothing to see here!

:)

-Q

Today is going to be a busy day:

GDP, ADP, PMI .... and fomc

Algos are going to rule the day

The good news is that by changing how GDP is calculated that it went up, and it went up looking backwards and going forward. So basically everything is much better now. And the really good news is that the economy has been doing much better over the last few years than anybody thought. So everybody can relax now. They figured out how to fix the economy. It was never broken. You just need better numbers. Like in China. So inflation doesn't include energy and food (two things I never use) and GDP now includes intellectual property so when kids post on Facebook our economy is growing.

Last edited:
The good news is that by changing how GDP is calculated that it went up, and it went up looking backwards and going forward. So basically everything is much better now. And the really good news is that the economy has been doing much better over the last few years than anybody thought. So everybody can relax now. They figured out how to fix the economy. It was never broken. You just need better numbers. Like in China. So inflation doesn't include energy and food (two things I never use) and GDP now includes intellectual property so when kids post on Facebook our economy is growing.

http://www.streettalklive.com/off-t...alculation-to-boost-economy-by-3-in-july.html

Horray, the U.S. GDP just jumped 3%... all is well in the kingdom!
:noevil:

Today is the big today.
The FED is going to announce it`s taper plans.
Market expectations range from 10-15 bn dollars less QE initially plus some forward guidance.

This should already be priced in, but pm prices will probably fall a bit anyway.

What the hell happened, I looked at cnbc a couple hours ago and silver was down 30 some cents, now it's up 70 some, a dollar swing in a few hours is wild.:flail:

What the hell happened, I looked at cnbc a couple hours ago and silver was down 30 some cents, now it's up 70 some, a dollar swing in a few hours is wild.:flail:

Buckle up man, the ride is going to get pretty good from right here.

Just a few more months of sub $25 silver so I can get my stash where I want it, then it can go to 100 if it wants.

Up a buck forty. Nice! I hope this is a new trend, and we see dollar or two dollar moves every damn day! Anyone else notice the dollar is getting monkey hammered?

The spice must flow.
It must not slow.
$85B a month...
Where does it go?

dec07_1_10.gif

Still looking for my 26-28 target for September!

Go ya untamed bitch GO!!!!

-Q

This slam-down appears to be little more than straight up price manipulation so one of Da Boyzz can get out of a position. Today is quad-witching so it may be related, but this enormous move in such a tiny time slot can only be done using incredibly deep pockets.

BAC anyone

Bernanke’s last meeting as the head of the Federal Reserve was on Wednesday. He will be handing over the reins to the ultra-Dove, Janet Yellen. As anticipated by the market, Bernanke did not go quietly.

The announcement was made that the FED plans to further cut its bond purchasing program by another $10 billion a month! It would effectively bring down FED bond purchases to $65 billion per month starting in February. A number that is still incredibly high.

http://sprottmoneyblog.com/bernanke-goes-out-with-a-bang/

One word can sum up the press release by the FOMC today: " BORING".

It pretty much said the same thing as last month's statement with the exception that the Fed cut another $10 billion off the bond buying. That however seemed to be generally expected. In effect, the Fed has just repeated that it is on track to end the QE program this year but will continue to monitor the data like the rest of us. They seemed to put the blame on the slow growth in Q1 squarely on the back of the severely cold weather. We shall see what subsequent data yields. ...

http://traderdannorcini.blogspot.com/2014/04/fomc-day.html

Slow growth due to weather?!?!?

Try Obamacare instead. The net result of Obamacare will be that it sucks an enormous amount of money out of pockets all across the nation that otherwise would have been spent on home improvements, cars, durable goods etc. Instead, it is being used to massively subsidize the most absurd health care law that could possibly have been crafted and enrich those very few people that run the big five insurance monopolies.

What a load of crap. These idiots actually believe their own lies and propaganda.

They seemed to put the blame on the slow growth in Q1 squarely on the back of the severely cold weather.

This is BS. All the cold weather did was DIVERT spending from one area of the economy (Toys, etc) to an different area of the economy (Heat, ice removal, etc) as one cannot spend the same dollars twice. Net growth is exactly the same, IF ALL AREAS OF THE ECONOMY are measured without bias (which is IMPOSSIBLE for the government to do).

Down about a deuce and a quarter today. I think I saw something about there being very little liquidity because of the bond market or something. I suppose it's impossible that people are selling because they are afraid they will lose it all again.

Wednesday's meeting of the rate-setting Federal Open Market Committee will bring an assortment of moves to chew on. It will be as much about the current rate increase as it will be about what the Fed plans ahead and where it sees the economy heading.

Here's a quick look at the multiple variables that will play into the outcome:

Rates

Particularly in light of Tuesday's softer-than-expected consumer price index inflation report, it would be a shock if the FOMC does anything other than raises the fed funds rate a half point, taking the overnight borrowing benchmark to a targeted range of 4.25%-4.5%, the highest level in 15 years.

Communications

Behind that unanimous or near-unanimous vote on rates will be a vigorous debate on where monetary policy should go from here.

The 'dot plot' and the 'terminal rate'

That "terminal rate" of which Masotti spoke references the expected end point for the Fed and its current rate-hiking cycle.

Powell presser

Finally, Powell will take the stage at 2:30 p.m. ET for 45 minutes or so to handle questions from the press.

In the past few meetings, the chair has used the session to buttress the Fed's inflation-fighting credentials, vowing rate hikes until prices are firmly brought back to stable ground.

The market hasn't always believed him.

More:

They are worse today than Alan Greenspan where bad news was good and good news was bad.

We can get a computer to do their job using analytics instead of cronyism and payoffs.

Ah ok..I get it...the Fed isn't going to stop QE till maybe the end of 2014 and all is well.

=

Gold and Silver take yet another dump! :doodoo:

Oh well..nothing to see here!

:)

-Q
"It works -- until the day it doesn't work." <-- Unca Walt's Maxim #69

For the last three thousand years, fiat and it's corollary, PM dilution with base metals or any other form of counterfeiting, have always -- without exception in recorded history -- eventually failed. Always. No matter the penalties (in China, it was death by skinning alive... did not stop the flood of Vermilion Notes.)

In every case, with every fiat, the fifth stage was reached:

"Stage 5 occurs when there is hyperinflation, which is the worst economic phase of the fiat cycle. In stage 5, the currency becomes worthless. At this stage precious metals are often reoccurring in the monetary system to be used as currency or be used to back up the currency. Keep in mind that hyperinflation has occurred at least 56 times during the last two centuries."

Back
Top Bottom