Gold Arithmetic

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

DoChenRollingBearing

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score

Here is some speculative and exploratory work to get an idea of a "good future price for physical gold". All very approximate, and I am not sure how worthwhile all of this is, but here you go.

In particular, do FOFOA's numbers make any sense?

"Gold Arithmetic"

http://tinyurl.com/ba7um78

Expressing a true value for any hard asset using any fiat currency is not useful. Even if you could pin down a good price in dollars, it will rapidly change. $50,000 an ounce or $10,000,000 an ounce, it only depends on how many more dollars the federal reserve has spewed forth. Being able to sell an ounce of gold for 80 million dollars isn't much use if it costs me 10 million dollars to feed my family that day.

I am a fan of historical and current comparisons between hard assets. How many months of food for an ounce of gold? How many days of labor for an ounce of good? Barrels of oil? Acres of productive land?

Personally, I like measuring the price of things in term of gold like this guy does:
http://pricedingold.com/

For an fun experiment, once a month figure out how many hours of your wages it would take to purchase a single ounce of gold at that month's current gold price. This may be an eyeopener for some if your purchasing power is declining despite raises.
:wave:

Back
Top Bottom