My Glimpse Into the Hereafter

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

DoChenRollingBearing

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score

What if FOFOA is right about gold at $55,000? (Other than many of us getting a windfall...) <--- :)

Also, a new blogger has entered the arena re a VERY HIGH price for gold: $134,000 per oz.

I look at some of the fallout and what that might mean:

http://tinyurl.com/obzzy2m

:gold:

:gold:

According to the chart posted here: http://www.pmbug.com/forum/f2/gold-price-vs-40%-backing-dollar-2272/

If the dollar were to be 40% backed by gold, it's price should be ~$4,500. I'm assuming that is calculated based upon M3 / tons of gold owned here in the USA.

I believe that FOFOA is talking about a global event with respect to Freegold. I don't have the data at hand, but it's essentially world money supply (value of all currencies) divided by global investment gold at some percentage of backing. I'm guessing these "back of the envelope" type calculations aren't even attempting to reconcile over a quadrillion dollars in derivatives / shadow banking system when considering the true "money supply".

I mention "backing", but it's not to imply that a formal backing is employed, just that it's a useful approach to calculate a value for gold relative to fiat currencies.

personally I would categorize FOFOA in the "difiicult to digest if interesting philosophical musings w/little practical application" drawer :) - my humble opinion only. Clearly, something very VERY disruptive would have to happen in the meantime, to get us to that price point. I ma not saying it is impossible, only that it would require Bretton Woods II to happen, and Gold to be chosen for the basis of a new global monetary system.

...which very well might happen at some stage, but again, financial SHTF would have had happen, in the meantime, and all other possible routes of exploration, exhausted (Bancor, SDRs - would have had fail as well already - which they probably will, but we are not there yet :))

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom