Price question: 1/20 oz coin vs 1 oz coin

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mazztech

Fly on the Wall
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy some more gold for my collection and would like to buy some smaller weight pieces. In particular I was looking at the Canadian Maples and when I compared the price I would be paying much more for 1 oz of gold buying smaller coins then larger coins.

At current spot price Apmex is selling 1 oz coins at about 1350 USD.
http://www.apmex.com/product/9/1-oz-gold-canadian-maple-leaf-random-year

Their 1/20 oz coins (which I should need 20 of to make one oz) is ~90 USD per 1/20 oz which for 1 oz comes to a total of 1800.

Since gold is gold shouldn't they be the same price or am I missing something or doing something silly?

My main purpose for gold is as a backup if our paper currency fails. I feel it would be easier to use smaller denominations of gold vs larger ones.

You are missing the fact that whether anyone sells 1oz or 1/20oz, the overhead and related costs are roughly the SAME PER COIN. Therefore, the smaller the coin, the higher the premium percentage.

To look at it in a different way, if you had to drive 50 miles to a job site, would you accept the same RATE PER HOUR for a 1 hour job as you would for an 8 hour job?

Thanks for your reply. Then why would I be able to buy 24 Karot gold jewelry at spot price? Wouldn't it take a jeweler more time to create a necklace then a machine to press some gold into a coin?

Premiums are always higher on smaller weight units. It's the same with premiums on silver bars too. 100ozt bars have lower premiums than 1ozt ingots.

Thanks for your reply. Then why would I be able to buy 24 Karot gold jewelry at spot price? Wouldn't it take a jeweler more time to create a necklace then a machine to press some gold into a coin?

Jewelry has a very high mark up regardless of gold content. In the U.S. the normal mark up is 70%!

Today I paid $145 each for (2 pcs) 1/10th oz Gold Eagles, or roughly 4.7% over spot at my "other" LCS (better prices but further away).

I priced out his 1 oz Gold Eagles, he wanted $1445, so the 1/10ths were almost surely as good as I will get (low premium).

My "main" LCS owner told me there is continuing talk about the US Mint stopping the 1/10ths (apparently the dies wear just as fast for the 1/10 as much as the 1 oz). Anyone here have any knowledge or insight on this?

I haven't heard anything about that, but if they run out of gold, they will have to halt production (again).

Back
Top Bottom