Shanghai Gold Exchange (SGE and SFE) gold and silver

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Silver bars of raw material of the largest state-owned silver seller Zhaokuang on http://JD.com is now at a price of ¥6.98/gram today, equivalent to $30.15/ounce

GHpXWcSaMAAWnbW

©Bai Xiaojun

$30/oz
raw silver should be of lower purity than lmba approved bars, i.e. lower price, i.e. under spot
$20?
that would be a 50% premium!

All time high
The hottest selling gold bars on http://JD.com which is the largest e-commmerce hit all time high at a price of ¥511/gram today, equivalent to $2207.48/ounce.
10 gram gold bar

GHpSOQvbgAAjFgO

©Bai Xiaojun

That could be indicative of other things like import restrictions, international transportation issues (costs, insurance, etc.), liquidity, etc.

...or... maybe difficulty in sourcing physical in the west to send east....
The transportation costs should be covered by the premiums
The only viable explanation for me are import restrictions.
The problem is, a) I can't find any info about such restrictions, and b) they would make no sense.

Difficulty in sourcing the metal at spot prices, yes, possible too

The problem is, a) I can't find any info about such restrictions, and b) they would make no sense.
I remember back in September or so China was restricting imports and it caused a similar premium disparity. China, like India, tries to control gold imports. I think it has something to do with local money flow to foreign shores (affecting FX markets) or something.

I remember back in September or so China was restricting imports and it caused a similar premium disparity. China, like India, tries to control gold imports. I think it has something to do with local money flow to foreign shores (affecting FX markets) or something.
Possible, but I still don't understand,
limiting imports they are making Chinese PM manufacturers and end users very unhappy,
their plan was/is to increase national PM reserves - both public and private,
if they want to internationalise their Yuan, they should be happy about money outflows

Last edited:
If left unlimited, gold imports would be so huge it would affect a large trade imbalance. India is also.closing loopholes on gold jewelry imports. I believe there is a 10% import tax on top of large premiums for gold.

If left unlimited, gold imports would be so huge it would affect a large trade imbalance. India is also.closing loopholes on gold jewelry imports. I believe there is a 10% import tax on top of large premiums for gold.
So, in order to blow up West's PM pricing mechanism all they need to do is to lift their import limitations.

Last edited:

Mark my words when the LBMA and COMEX are emptied premiums will skyrocket. No physical supplier will sell at lower western spot prices when they can get more from Lee Bang Chow.

Back
Top Bottom