So they didn't taper, why isn't gold shooting up?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Potemkin

Predaceous Stink Bug
Reaction score
Hey, the Fed didn't taper, but should that have pushed gold higher?

I remember all those predictions about 2,000 $ gold that never came true.
The way gold is moving, it's better to keep my hands off...

Last time I bought at around 1,800 $. I was nuts... :gold:

Now it's be a wonder if it reaches 1,500 $... Even that would be a loss. :popcorn:

Why isn't gold moving up stronger? I see more of a horizontal trading thing going on. I was expecting a stronger reaction to Uncle Ben's "no taper" stuff... :flushed:

Potemkin,
There are still a lot of shorts that need to unwind. BAC recently announced they would be exiting their short PM position and returning to a net long exposure. In addition, we had a triple expiry last week and have one this week in PM's. I expect some wild stuff before and including Wednesday.

I remember all those predictions about 2,000 $ gold that never came true.
The way gold is moving, it's better to keep my hands off...

Last time I bought at around 1,800 $. I was nuts... :gold:

Now it's be a wonder if it reaches 1,500 $... Even that would be a loss. :popcorn::flushed:

With you on this Pk

Sold house in Aug 2010 and parked my half of the proceeds in gold.

Its proving to be a good test of my ability to remain detached ....

ooommmmmm

It depends on what gold is to the world. I read somewhere that gold is behaving more like a currency and less like a commodity, so it makes some kind of sense to see it operating in a range like most other currencies. There are much smarter people than me on this site that can probably explain it better than I can, but if it's true it's not going to generally pay off the way some people think, unless something really dramatic happens, and then all bets are off.

Last edited:
Potemkin...

Weren't you concerned about the taper and that it was going to cause gold to collapse?? Well.. Didn't happen did it?

Stop focusing on "the news" because if you are buying and selling based on it, you will lose money. If you listened to CNBC since 2000 you would have missed the entire gold move.

We've been talking about QE for 5 years now and the economy isn't doing better. At this point, QE or no QE, the damage is done. There is simply no possible way this ends poorly for gold in the long run.

The FED is cornered now, and they know they can never stop buying paper, because they are the market now.

Back
Top Bottom