• 1 Post By superhero
  • 1 Post By mike
  • 2 Post By Aubuy
  • 1 Post By MasterQ

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2013, 06:57 AM   #1
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 31 times
Is there such a thing as "24 karat gold jewelry"?

Hi,

It might sound a bit naive, but I think there is no such thing as "24 k gold jewelry". There must be esomething else in it, because gold is so soft, it would break, deform.

Right?

I'm asking, because I constantly hear and read it here and there... "24 karat gold jewelry". Well, I guess it's probably not more pure than Gold Eagle coins, which are 22 k or 91.67 %...
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:27 AM   #2
Golden Cockroach

Liked: 2456 times
I haven't seen it personally, but I wouldn't be surprised if it existed somewhere. I would think 22K would be more desirable for a high gold content jewelry - at least for jewelry that anyone is actually going to wear/use.

Important stuff: PMBug 101 * Forum Guidelines * Support PMBug
PMBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #3
Ground Beetle

Liked: 306 times
24 karat jewelry does exist, but it's not common because it's too soft as you said. Jewelry stores like to have 24 karat in the name and on their signs because everyone knows 24 is better than 18, right? I mean, who would go to "18K Gold Store", if there is 24K down the street?

H. L. Mencken
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
Ground Beetle

Liked: 304 times
If you put a maple leaf in a pendant I think that might qualify as 24K but the chain would need to be 18K or you won't have it for long.
Aubuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 71 times
It might exist in asian countries. Seen lots of very yellow jewelry on older asian women, e.g. my wife's grandmother.

My father was stationed in Vietnam when I was born, and was apparently very popular among the local Chinese population. To acknowledge my birth, we received many thin gold plaques with my name embossed on them.

When the embassy shut down, we had to leave in a hurry, and my parents pressed all the gold plates into a gold ball the size of a golf ball. It's still in my parents house somewhere. I'll ask to see it the next time I visit.
PMBug likes this.
superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 31 times
Originally Posted by mike View Post:
24 karat jewelry does exist, but it's not common because it's too soft as you said. Jewelry stores like to have 24 karat in the name and on their signs because everyone knows 24 is better than 18, right? I mean, who would go to "18K Gold Store", if there is 24K down the street?
Right...

I see it all the time, I hear it all the time. Even from friends and family: 24 k, 24 k, 24 k and I keep telling them "it's nuts, there is not such thing, gold is too soft"...
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #7
Ground Beetle

Liked: 306 times
Just check the stamp on the jewelry in question.

If there is no stamp, it came from a gumball machine
ancona likes this.

H. L. Mencken
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
Jay
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 671 times
Originally Posted by superhero View Post:
It might exist in asian countries. Seen lots of very yellow jewelry on older asian women, e.g. my wife's grandmother.

My father was stationed in Vietnam when I was born, and was apparently very popular among the local Chinese population. To acknowledge my birth, we received many thin gold plaques with my name embossed on them.

When the embassy shut down, we had to leave in a hurry, and my parents pressed all the gold plates into a gold ball the size of a golf ball. It's still in my parents house somewhere. I'll ask to see it the next time I visit.
not related to 24k gold, but when Bing and I got married, as part of the ceremony they gave us 13 gold pesos. (13 is a lucky number there). 7 is unlucky.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #9
Ground Beetle

Liked: 304 times
Originally Posted by Jay View Post:
not related to 24k gold, but when Bing and I got married, as part of the ceremony they gave us 13 gold pesos. (13 is a lucky number there). 7 is unlucky.
If somebody gave me 7 gold coins I would be feeling lucky
PMBug and Jay like this.
Aubuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #10
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 83 times
Oh there is 24k jewelry...plated!

-Q
PMBug likes this.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #11
n00b

Liked: 6 times
24K gold is found in Indian, Somali and Chinese Markets

In India, China, Somalia and Arab countries gold jewelry is used like money. So you can find in those cities a gold trading district with jewelry stores that sell 21K and 24K gold jewelry.

The purity is pretty reliable, and they test it with acid to be sure. In the Americas you can find that kind of jewelry in China Town of most major cities.
Dinero is offline   Reply With Quote