What to get next...

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

superhero

Predaceous Stink Bug
Reaction score
Been looking at my stash, and thinking... silver is pretty, 50 oz of silver sure are a lot more fun to play with than an oz of gold. But alas, it's just so. damned. heavy.

So far I've bought and subsequently lost a Credit Suisse, a Perth, a few Pamp bars, and a couple of Maples. Been thinking the British Sovereigns are kinda neat, Austrian 100 corona has a pretty low premium, and a 50 peso piece has even lower premium.

What's fairly recognized by gold buyers? Has a decently low premium? And where can I buy them online?

At the risk of sounding like a broken record ... and I know there are a few on this site who don't agree with me, but my advice is ... DON'T USE THE INTERNET FOR PM PURCHASE.

Get to know your LCD and strike up a relationship with him/her and you will do far better in the long run.

US Mint coins are the most recognized by "gold buyers" in the USA (hence their premium). Dealers will recognize most any major brand ingot/bar or sovereign coin.

@ superhero

I would agree with Jetstream re finding and buying from a local coin shop (at least for SOME of your purchases). The proprietor would be able to discuss with you many of your questions, you could then decide what is most important (recognition, low premium, esthetic value, numismatic values, etc.).

I have mainly bought from three coin shops over the decades, only once did I buy online (10 oz Pt, when I could not find any...).

As an example, I prefer to pay a little more for US Eagles, as they are recognized here in the USA more than any other gold coin. But, there are LOTS of perfectly other valid choices, my choices are idiosyncratic...

:flail:

Gold bars are harder to offload, especially since some of the fake ones started hitting the news. Usually, if you have to sell a gold bar, the bar must be tested first.

I have not seen this for the more common, government minted, coins. Gold Eagles, Maples, Krugs, Pandas, ect. are usually very easy to buy and sell. Personally, I am seeing the lowest premiums on Krugs in my area and would go with those if I were to do a gold purchase in the near future.
$.02

Disclaimer: All of this is from my experience and may differ in your area.

Revisiting the thread... Liberty CPM opened up a shop 5 minutes from my office. The new store's set up is a LOT nicer, not to mention a lot more secure than their Del Mar store. They were easy to deal with when I purchased online, with a local store, it doesn't make much sense to go elsewhere (unless it's to get Libertads but I digress).

Right now their premiums on AGEs, Buffaloes, Maples, Phils and Kangaroos are all $55. Okay deal on AGEs and Buffaloes. Not so good on the rest.

Gold bars are spot +$34
British Sovereigns are spot +$72
1/2 AGEs and Maples are spot+$90
1/4 AGEs and Maples are spot +$128

Given your knowledge of historical buy-back premiums. What makes the most sense to buy at this point?

I would give anything for a good LCS near me. The few that are around strictly deal in numis and not any bullion or only have eagles in stock and are asking $7+ premium over spot. I live in a more rural area so I pretty much have to buy from the net :(

At the risk of sounding like a broken record ... and I know there are a few on this site who don't agree with me, but my advice is ... DON'T USE THE INTERNET FOR PM PURCHASE.

Get to know your LCD and strike up a relationship with him/her and you will do far better in the long run.

could you elaborate? Cause "they" could be (are) tracking every purchase?

Given your knowledge of historical buy-back premiums. What makes the most sense to buy at this point?

I don't remember premiums on gold products going out of whack (being volatile for some formats versus others) like they have done at times for silver products over the last few years.

@ superhero

$55 over spot for AGEs sounds pretty good to me (I paid almost $100 over at my LCS a month or so ago).

Today I bought a 1/4 oz Maple Leaf here in Montreal, paid about (US) $360, so that would be some $40 over spot (1/4 oz remember), and I am happy with my purchase.

Back
Top Bottom