America the Beautiful Bullion Coins - Damage?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cybrsk8r

Fly on the Wall
Reaction score
I bought a 5 oz "Gettysburg" coin from APMEX. It's almost 3" in diameter. It came in a round, hard plastic case. I never opened the case (couldn't figure out how :shrug: ) Then I started noticing damage to the coin which look like fine scratches or even bag marks. The only conclusion I can draw is that some foreign object inside the case is scratching the coin. Has anyone ever encountered this before? APMEX is supposed to give me an RMA number to send it back.

Hi Cybrsk8r, welcome to the forum. :wave:

I bought a few 5ozt ATB coins from Apmex in the past and never noticed any problem with any of them. Glad to hear that Apmex customer support is working to resolve the problem for you.

I bought a 5 oz "Gettysburg" coin from APMEX. It's almost 3" in diameter. It came in a round, hard plastic case. I never opened the case (couldn't figure out how :shrug: ) Then I started noticing damage to the coin which look like fine scratches or even bag marks. The only conclusion I can draw is that some foreign object inside the case is scratching the coin. Has anyone ever encountered this before? APMEX is supposed to give me an RMA number to send it back.

How long did you have it before you noticed the scratches? Do you think they were scratched before or after you recieved them?

Wish I could say for sure. I don't remember seeing this scratching when I first unpacked it. What I'm most concerned about is just to the left and slightly above "In God We Trust".

I just recieved it last night. I didn't actually handle it much, and never removed it from the case.

Attachments

• 100_0389.jpg
    100_0389.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 9
Are you sure its not the hard plastic case that has the scratches? I'm not trying to insult anyone but those cases can fool you and have caused me to open it only to find that it is the mere case with the scratches. Just asking....

I was hoping that was the case myself, but I looked at it from an oblique angle and the scratch appears to be on the surface of the coin. I haven't heard from APMEX with an RMA, so maybe I don't have anything to lose by opening the case. Worse case scenario is that I sell the coin for scrap silver.

I have had this too, only it turned out the case was where hte scratches are. Most coin shops will sell you those cases for a few cents to a buck or so bepending on quantity and size. If you bought it for collectors value, take it to the coin shop and let the pro's swap it out.

Back
Top Bottom