Fractional Silver-Advice

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Mark

Predaceous Stink Bug
Reaction score
Hey guys, I collect ASE's as my way of investing in silver. I'd like to have some fractionals maybe for a WTSHTF scenario. What say you about 90% silver vs. fractional libertads and so forth? I'm speaking of Roosevelt dimes, (cause they don't really carry any intrinsic value as do Barbers or Mercurys), pre '64 quarters, and halves, etc...
Thanks

I bought a few dozen Apmex fractionals, but the premium just isn't worth it. Go for dimes and war nickels.

Where online do y'all huy 90% ? I bought Walking Liberties from Goldmart, but their premiums on Mercury dimes,Walking Liberties and Franklin halves are crazy these days.

BigCoins.com used to have decent prices on 90%, but I haven't checked in a while.

I prefer to buy 90% at a local shop where I can inspect it (for wear) before hand. We have in the past bought $X face bags from an online vendor (Monex or Blanchard - I can't remember which).

That's it for me then. ASEs for 1 OZT and greater. 90% for fractional.

If buying rolls, weigh them before buying, easiest inspection.
I grab several rolls more than I wish to purchase, then weigh them on the counter scale at LCS. Dimes are my favorite fractional and a roll should weigh 125 grams. Few do weigh 125 grams but the ones which weigh more than 123 grams are keepers. Sometimes Barbers in great shape are in the heavy rolls. I prefer Mercuries as people recognize the Merc as silver and question the Roosevelt dimes as clad Rosies are still in circulation.
Regardless, a silver dime represents a days pay to more than 2/3rds the world's population. I truly enjoy buying 50 days pay, rolls of silver.
We, the US, will be there soon enough. $109 for 7 full weeks of labor. I will graciously employ.

Back
Top Bottom