Precious Metals Forum

Go Back   Precious Metals Forum > Precious Metals and Economic News > Silver Bug

Like Tree15Likes
  • 2 Post By BigJim
  • 1 Post By mike
  • 1 Post By BigJim
  • 3 Post By ADK
  • 3 Post By ancona
  • 3 Post By BigJim
  • 2 Post By Mark

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 42 times
Just Doesn't Add Up

I tell ya guys; I know I'm new to hoarding silver, but I just don't get it. I like the Libertad (although, I've really decided just to invest in ASEs), and thought for diversification purposes (and in case TSHTF), it may be good to have some fractionals, but at $80.00 an ounce for a fractional Libertad??? I mean, c'mon. Same with fractional bars. Some assayers want three times as much for less than an ounce. And what's the deal with "Pamp Suisse"?
Old 12-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 2046 times
Supply and demand
Lots of folks can't afford an ounce, but will fork over a significant premium for a tenth of an ounce on an assay card.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 131 times
If you want fractional Ag,buy 90% Dimes & Quarters.
Pamp Bars are in vogue therefore the big premiums.
dontdeBasemebro and Cronus like this.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #4

Liked: 280 times
Jim is right - 90% silver is something everyone should have.
dontdeBasemebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
PM Bug Supporter

Liked: 691 times
I go with the full 1 oz Silver Eagles, and I feel just fine about them. They would be recognizable, thought not as much as the "junk silver " dimes and quarters.

Yes, if you are going to buy under 1 oz at a time, junk silver seems to be the way to go.

I buy the Silver Eagles, even with the extra premium, because it is recognizable. And they stack nicely in the tube as well. And if the time comes when I have to spend them, it will always be the silver stuff I am selling.
DoChenRollingBearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:15 AM   #6
Ground Beetle

Liked: 306 times
As I've said in other threads, in a SHTF scenario, I think you're going to have a hard time convincing people your dimes are actually worth $2.24. I would stick to coins that have "1 oz Silver" stamped right on them.
ADK likes this.

H. L. Mencken

comparegoldandsilverprices.com
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #7
Predaceous stink bug

Well, I had a few Engelhard/JM bars and about 12 APMEX/Silvertownes and took them in yesterday and traded 'em all for ASEs. I think everyone is correct as they're inscribed, "1 OZT Fine" and being minted by the Treasury Dept., I think if TSHTF, they'll be easily recognizeable. Bars, not as much so by the mainstream public. Plus, with 90%, not everyone knows the true percentage. I even have a Libertad I think I'll e-Bay, just so's I can replace it with an Eagle. I love Libertads and the fact that they're available in fractionals makes me like 'em even more, yet the main stream "idiocy" wouldn't recognize them for what they are. And they're not Legal Tender, so to speak. So.... it's all the way with the USA for me. "GO ASE!"
Old 12-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #8
Predaceous stink bug

Originally Posted by mike View Post:
As I've said in other threads, in a SHTF scenario, I think you're going to have a hard time convincing people your dimes are actually worth $2.24. I would stick to coins that have "1 oz Silver" stamped right on them.
I believe in a SHTF scenario people will learn quickly about 90% Ag.
More are learning about it everyday.
Just my

GOD BLESS & BRING OUR TROOPS HOME!!!
ancona likes this.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
ADK
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 123 times
I don't know... I still look at PMs mostly as a preservative of weather through a SHTF scenario.

Bars are good. Some ASE and Maples.

During the SHTF scenario, I think booze, smokes, ammo, etc., are going to be more of a hot commodity that a 90% dime.

Those bullion pieces will be handy after things come back around and the value of the local currency is reset.

ADK
bushi, benjamen and BigJim like this.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:35 AM   #10
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 2046 times
*Warning Thread Hijack*

Not only will folks recognize 90% pretty quickly, they will recognize those little airport size bottles of booze I have neatly stacked along side the other "tradeables" I have stashed. Never underestimate the ability of people to recognize what is truly valuable.

As much as I feel the need to stack silver, I also stack things like those small propane cylinders for camp stoves, and spray-can sized cans of butane for my little two burner butane camp stove that folds up in to a little suitcase. These will be like fucking gold to someone who has spent a few weeks eating cold canned goods.
bushi, ADK and BigJim like this.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #11
Predaceous stink bug

Originally Posted by ADK View Post:
I don't know... I still look at PMs mostly as a preservative of weather through a SHTF scenario.

Bars are good. Some ASE and Maples.

During the SHTF scenario, I think booze, smokes, ammo, etc., are going to be more of a hot commodity that a 90% dime.

Those bullion pieces will be handy after things come back around and the value of the local currency is reset.

ADK
I agree.The original subject was about fractional Ag & the huge premiums.
90% Dimes Quarters etc are the best value for fractional Ag.
SHTF scenario,PM's are way down the line IMHO,water,food,shelter,defense etc are much more important.
Again,just my (adjusted for hyperinflation)

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!
PMBug, ancona and Cronus like this.

Last edited by BigJim; 12-13-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #12
Predaceous stink bug

Ammo will be a good commodity. And it can be had in fractionals, too. .38 short Colt would be half a .357 mag. .32 short would be half a .32 H&R mag or .327. A .44 spec. would be half a .44 mag. I'd give someone a .357 mag bullet for two .38 short colt bullets any day. At least we're back on the subject of fractionals.
ancona and ADK like this.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #13
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 54 times
Originally Posted by Mark View Post:
I tell ya guys; I know I'm new to hoarding silver, but I just don't get it. I like the Libertad (although, I've really decided just to invest in ASEs), and thought for diversification purposes (and in case TSHTF), it may be good to have some fractionals, but at $80.00 an ounce for a fractional Libertad??? I mean, c'mon. Same with fractional bars. Some assayers want three times as much for less than an ounce. And what's the deal with "Pamp Suisse"?

Diversify.

ASE's and other troy oz units only, will limit your purchases 1 troy oz or greater. Potential losses to those without change. Additionally, 90% is commonly the least expensive. The black market and bartering will be done with a scale. Markings will not be particularly relevant. Testing will be applied and 90% dimes are far to small to counterfeit profitably today.

Purchase 90% dimes and consider them to be a days pay; as 2/3rds of the world works for less than $2 per day. The US in less than ten years will be identical, although not measured in $$$.

ADK's bartering currency examples, 100% correct Proof is in all failed economies and countries of the 20th century. Research such for preserving your own gain.
drAGonfly47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #14
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 71 times
Originally Posted by mike View Post:
Partly agree. I think it'll be hard to give someone a Roosevelt dime and tell them it's worth more than face value.

But if you present a coin that is no longer circulated, e.g. walking liberty 1/2 dollar or mercury dime, perhaps that'll be easier.
superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #15
Golden Cockroach

Liked: 2444 times
Originally Posted by superhero View Post:
Partly agree. I think it'll be hard to give someone a Roosevelt dime and tell them it's worth more than face value.

But if you present a coin that is no longer circulated, e.g. walking liberty 1/2 dollar or mercury dime, perhaps that'll be easier.
Pre-64 dimes, quarters and half dollars are easy to distinguish from current forms of the coins just by looking at the edge of the coin. Pre-64 coins will be solid silver/gray on the edge. Post-63 coins will have a two-tone edge indicating that they are not 90% silver.

Important stuff: PMBug 101 * Forum Guidelines * Support PMBug
PMBug is offline   Reply With Quote