Larger vs smaller size

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cybrsk8r

Fly on the Wall
Reaction score
I'm buying my silver as a backstop. I think it's only a matter of time before we see some serious inflation in this country. Having a stash of PM's might serve as a hedge against this.

That being said, it seems logical to me that smaller sizes (1/2 oz or 1 oz, vs something larger) make more sense, since, if I ever have to "spend" my silver, I'd want to spend it in the smallest possible increments.

Since I'm pretty much a beginner, I'm intertested in other people's thoughts on this.

Everyone now alive is pretty much a beginner in what would happen in a case where fiat fails and Pms are what you spend to live. Yes, there have been some localized collapses in fiat money - but they were short lived and accompanied by violence, in which things like bic lighters, ammo, food, medical supplies were really the important things to have in the stash for barter.

The truth is, we just don't know, no matter what people might tell you. The Mad Max world seems pretty unlikely, due to inconsistencies it overlooked in how things really (can) work, for example. Many other scenarios are proposed, but as a longtime sci-fi reader, wouldn't pass muster as being internally consistent either - humans can easily make up stories that real humans wouldn't really do, and forget this all too easily. It's just too easy to forget or ignore some detail of human dynamics when constructing a straw-man.

Here in my 'hood (very rural) we already do plain old barter on all the small things anyway, and maybe not even "this for that today" but hey - you got extra, you give me some of it, I got extra, I give you some of mine - whenever that happens...for small stuff a handshake suffices (and is usually not even required). On the other hand, large things - cars, farm equipment...those tend to get settled right off or the deal won't go down. Seems a variety of sizes would apply in most of the foreseeable cases. If you're looking for an inflation hedge, bulk looks pretty good from a lower premium standpoint.

I don't go for numismatic value one bit. Those premiums are only high in good times, and fail just when you need it. The main advantage to having something well known (but those are common and the numismatic value-adder hence lower) - is that people probably won't demand an assay to prove what it is. On the other hand, I couldn't see trading a huge stack of coins for a car - I'd want to use a bar I got cheaper per ounce. That's just me...others here will surely have other takes on it all.

The premiums for 1/2 oz & smaller Ag rds/bars are pretty steep.
I recommend 90% Dimes & Quarters to use as fractionals.
JMHO

GOD BLESS & BRING OUR TROOPS HOME!!!

I bought some of he Apmex divisible ounces, which break in to quarter ounces. While they were more expensive than ounce bars, I thought they were pretty cool.

Pretty much any way all this mess plays out, proper planning would dictate you buying a variety of sizes. And variety, they say, is the spice of life.

Or go with plan B: invest in bee-filled shark catapults for home defense.

http://imgur.com/gallery/7Cj6g

I'd say that on OZ of silver is not required to be further divisible, even in barter scenario - it's value isn't that high, really, as to warrant the need to stack with lower sizes, IMHO. Obviously bigger bars would be handier for bigger sums, yet again, we might be considering gold being better suited for that purpose (preserving the value of large wealth).

Obviously GSR today might convince many to store even large sums in silver, rather than gold, but I personally just divide my purchases in half (in dollar terms), and buy both metals.

I like junk- and eagles.

On trading with the neighbors we are ALWAYS sending food items over. I wish I could do more.

I'm actually not going with anything smaller than 5 grams for spending if TSHTF, and that's only if I can get it for the same mark up as an oz (relatively speaking).

@ Cybrsk8tr and above repliers

When you are just starting to stack with a "SHTF" in mind, yes, "junk silver" (1964 and earlier quarters and dimes) and American Silver Eagles seem to be a good option. Silver Eagles DO cost more though (higher premium), but I bought them because they are more likely to be recognized if something ugly happens.

IMO, 1 oz silver coins are as small as you need to go, as you can find a way to make "change" for small purchases.

I do not own junk silver myself, but I certainly accept that as easy to recognize and you WOULD have "fractional" (less than 1 oz) silver.

Silver should be very easy to "spend" in a SHTF scenario.

But, as your pile increases in size (and with luck as your savings and/or wealth increase), you should consider GOLD as well. Gold is the safest and best wealth preserver in town.

But, you want to NEVER be forced to sell your gold should you become illiquid! So, before you buy gold, it is best to make sure you have silver and even cash $$$ on hand to get you through the rough times.

The gold is for your children...

@ Cybrsk8tr and above repliers

When you are just starting to stack with a "SHTF" in mind, yes, "junk silver" (1964 and earlier quarters and dimes) and American Silver Eagles seem to be a good option. Silver Eagles DO cost more though (higher premium), but I bought them because they are more likely to be recognized if something ugly happens.

IMO, 1 oz silver coins are as small as you need to go, as you can find a way to make "change" for small purchases.

I do not own junk silver myself, but I certainly accept that as easy to recognize and you WOULD have "fractional" (less than 1 oz) silver.

Silver should be very easy to "spend" in a SHTF scenario.

But, as your pile increases in size (and with luck as your savings and/or wealth increase), you should consider GOLD as well. Gold is the safest and best wealth preserver in town.

But, you want to NEVER be forced to sell your gold should you become illiquid! So, before you buy gold, it is best to make sure you have silver and even cash $$$ on hand to get you through the rough times.

The gold is for your children...

The nice thing about the silver eagles is their resale value. Yes you pay more over spot for them, but I can easily sell them for $1-2 over spot as well.

As far as selling gold last, has any one else heard of a Markov Chain?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markov_chain
Basically, I buy into, buy out of, and trade between of Platinum, Silver, and Palladium. However, once I trade into or buy Gold, I do not let it go. It is my sink.

Back
Top Bottom