Precious Metals Forum

Go Back   Precious Metals Forum > Precious Metals and Economic News > Silver Bug

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
Golden Cockroach

Liked: 2379 times
Post Materion discontinuing 10 oz "stacker" bars branded by Scottsdale, Academy, et. al.

Apparently, Materion is the manufacturer of 10ozt silver "stacker" bars sold under the Scottsdale Silver, Academy (which they acquired in 2010) and other brand names. They are discontinuing their bullion manufacturing, so no more stacker bars for now.

H/T: http://forums.silverstackers.com/top...cker-bars.html

I doubt that this will lead to any "numismatic" or collector premiums for these bars, but I thought it was interesting to note. Apparently Materion also manufactures industrial products using precious metals. I wonder if this is yet another indication of supply strain...

Important stuff: PMBug 101 * Forum Guidelines * Support PMBug
PMBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
Fly on the wall

Liked: 31 times
This would impact those who are buying silver for investment, but if, like me, you're buying silver as a hedge against what I see as inevitable hyper-inflation, then 10 oz bars would seem a little bit impractical since they couldn't be easily broken down into smaller pieces.
Cybrsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 78 times
Originally Posted by PMBug View Post:
I doubt that this will lead to any "numismatic" or collector premiums for these bars, but I thought it was interesting to note. Apparently Materion also manufactures industrial products using precious metals. I wonder if this is yet another indication of supply strain...
Or maybe it is supply and demand, and demand for silver is lessening... I hope I'm wrong though.
Shelby-villian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
ADK
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 123 times
Looks like the have replaced it with a new design:

http://store.scottsdalesilver.com/pr...ttsdale-Silver

I really like the Scottsdale products... and have some stackers. I also really like this new design, though.

Truly, I couldn't care too much what design a bar has on it as long as it's from a recognized company. Although, if I had a choice between bars from reputable companies, I'd choose the nicer looking one --- or the hand-cast one. I've got a soft spot for those old school looking bars.

ADK