Older ASE Coin Values

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

FPrice

Fly on the Wall
Reaction score
Do older ASEs command higher prices than 2015 coins? I am curious because I am watching an auction of five coins (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014) which seems to have a higher asking price per coin than single 2015 coins.

Thanks.

That depends upon whether you are selling to a collector or a stacker. Some coins, depending upon condition and rarity/availability might command a numismatic premium over and above the bullion value to collectors. Stackers only care about condition so far as whether the coin contains the right amount of metal it is supposed to contain. They are buying for the bullion, not for "collector value".

I don't know that numismatic premiums (or the collectors market) will mean much (survive) should TSHTF and the real insurance/hedge value of metals be realized. YMMV.

For my purposes, silver is silver. The old ones are the same as the new ones as far as I'm concerned, but there are those who will argue to the point of fisticuffs that I am wrong. It is a personal thing.

Yeah, after I read what I had posted I kinda started thinking along those lines.

My main purpose(s) for buying PMs is as a hedge against a dark future and have a few more items of intrinsic value....just in case. I am not necessarily adverse to being a collector, but I really don't have the money for that.

What about mint marks? I have seen some ASEs with a "W" on the reverse side, to the lower left of the Eagle. I assume this means a West Point produced coin. Is this the only significance? Are they worth any more that non-marked coins?

Yes, the mint mark identifies which mint produced the coin. The West Point mint stopped producing Eagles for a few years, so collectors were interested in coins from that mint when it started up again.

I'm not interested in the collectors market though, so I don't really pay much attention to the ups and downs of numismatic premiums.

Back
Top Bottom