Spread between bid and ask spot prices

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
Is it my imagination, or have they changed? I seem to recall the spread consistently running $0.10 for silver. The SilverSeek graph on the home page is showing a current spread of $0.055. Anyone know where one can find some historical data on the bid/ask spread?

Just checked netdania and it looks like the current spread (as of the moment I post this) is closer to $0.03!

I have also noticed the spread between buy back price and sale price for silver on apmex.com has dropped.

Is it my imagination, or have they changed? I seem to recall the spread consistently running $0.10 for silver. The SilverSeek graph on the home page is showing a current spread of $0.055. Anyone know where one can find some historical data on the bid/ask spread?

PMBug - I assume you're talking about futures. Any idea of the size on the bid and offer? It's one thing to be 5 cents wide 1 lot up and a different thing to be 5 cents wide 1000 up.

I have also noticed the spread between buy back price and sale price for silver on apmex.com has dropped.

Hmm... I haven't been tracking their buy back prices, but I know their premiums have not been dropping (actually went up a bit lately), that would mean the buy back prices have been rising?

:popcorn:

PMBug - I assume you're talking about futures. Any idea of the size on the bid and offer? It's one thing to be 5 cents wide 1 lot up and a different thing to be 5 cents wide 1000 up.

No idea on the size. Just watching the bid and ask prices as reported by the simple tools mentioned.

No idea on the size. Just watching the bid and ask prices as reported by the simple tools mentioned.

Got ya. Interesting observation. Many possible explanations, might even just be a one-off event. I've noticed from my trading experience that when a market gets a lot of interest, bid/offers tend to tighten as interest tries to squeeze market makers, and competing market makers try to win the trade. With computers running the show in futures, who knows. Or might be a bigger structural thing going on.

Hmm... I haven't been tracking their buy back prices, but I know their premiums have not been dropping (actually went up a bit lately), that would mean the buy back prices have been rising?

:popcorn:

PMBug - what's the deal with this? Why do premiums tend to expand/contract? Can't really figure this out besides possibly a bad hedge by dealers. I mean, if it's profitable at $1 over spot, why suddenly increase it $0.50 when prices move?

For retailers, the buy/sell spread has more to do with the split between the physical (wholesale) price for coins/bars versus the futures/spot price. Rising premiums for physical generally reflect scarcity / tightening of supply.

For retailers, the buy/sell spread has more to do with the split between the physical (wholesale) price for coins/bars versus the futures/spot price. Rising premiums for physical generally reflect scarcity / tightening of supply.

Thanks, makes sense. Where do these guys get their inventory from? Places like NTR?

Back
Top Bottom