Valcambi Gold Inc ??

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Mr_BimmerLV

Fly on the Wall
Reaction score
Hello There,

I have been on the PM bug for about a year or so now and have LOVED every minute of it :)

SUCH a great place :)

I Have a question...

Has anyone ever had any dealings with " Valcambi Gold Inc. ???

https://www.valcambigold.com/category/38-best-selling-products.aspx

I mean for as legitimacy and what not...I figured I would make the inquiry here before making a FIRST purchase from them.

i Would REALLY Like To give there 100x1g Sheets of AG a try...

Thank You Very much For The Replies!

This is the first time I've seen Valcambi silver CombiBars. Their 50x1gram gold have been discussed here (do a search), and are deemed legit. Apmex and Goldmart both sell the gold CombiBars.

That said, current POS is $22.41/toz, or ~$0.72/gram. The spot price of 100 grams of silver is $72.05, yet according to the link you posted, the price of a 100x1gram bar is $114.24. That's a 58% premium. Does not make sense.

With the price of silver where it is, I personally wouldn't look at anything smaller than 1 toz. But there are 1/2 toz rounds out there if you're so inclined.

welcome aboard mr BimmerLV

remember to keep some of your hard earned in reserve for a boat

Even though I can understand the logic of 1 gram units of silver considering a huge price appreciation, I just can't get excited about these combibars or the Shire Silver.

I am an owner of some combibars and have ordered them directly from Valcambi last summer:
http://www.pmbug.com/forum/f13/new-kind-pm-bar-invented-breakable-into-1g-pieces-694/#post8250

Here's my experience: Shipping took roughly 5 days after payment (wire transfer). They used FedEx. The bars were well protected from breaking with plastic inserts.
The chocolate bar style is going to be a nice feature during a shtf scenario because it allows trading in 1 gramm units. However, minting these bars isn't cheap, so premiums over spot are high. They also tend to break (or at least deform) at the sutures if you don't transport them cautiously.
Valcambi is the largest precious metals refiner in Europe. They're located in Southern Switzerland. 50% of the company is owned by Newmont Mining. It's a very reliable company. You're getting a certificate with a serial number for every combibar. I also know somebody who works there in a management position. Combibars aren't their main business. The real volumes are in 400 oz standard gold bars.

9db0b29174.jpg

Last time I checked the price per gram for these was too high... I'd prefer buying 5, 10, 20 grams separately, then trading the small ones when necessary. Price per gram is lower.

Valcambi was never among the cheapest ones, but it's a "big name". Like PAMP and like Johnson Matthey...

...very expensive in comparison (per OZ/gram), not very practical after breaking apart (to a large degree, defying the whole purpose of having "breakable" gold, IMHO), and nothing that couldn't be achieved with some silver rounds instead. Gimmick in my opinion, but if it gives you giggles, heck why not.
Just my humble $0.02

I like these bars and they seem cool but the premiums are just out of control. I can't pay a $15 premium per ounce for silver no freaking way same with the gold bars its just to high of premium but a cool idea.

It's not an entirely rational purchase, but if you are anticipating a possibly irrational future, it might make sense. Personally I think the concept of breakable bars is quite clever unless they become worthless, in which case I have a feeling we're not going to care. So premium or not I give them a thumbs up with fingers crossed (which hurts my hand) but only with money that you can afford to lose, so if you lose it, you won't care, so it won't matter either way. This seems like a good place to put a dancing banana because that makes just as much sense. :banana:

Back
Top Bottom