bank holiday

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

It takes time to find land, time to find a seller at a price, time to find the good stuff, and most important of all - time to learn how to live on it decently, add whatever infrastructure it's missing and a long list of related tasks.

Good thread here, folks. Sorry I'm late to the party. Been a busy holiday season and 2012.

DCF is absolutely dead on here. My experience to a T. I started looking for suitable BOL acreage in mid-2010 after it became apparent to me that we were headed over a cliff.

I started actually _looking_ at property (visiting, touring, investigating tax/demographics/topological/soil types) in January 2011.

Since that time, I've made offers on three parcels of land. Here's what happened:
  1. Got outbid on the first.
  2. Couldn't reach an agreement on the second.
  3. Owner decided not to sell on the third.

I finally found acreage that is a good fit in December and dropped the paper on it mid-month. We close sometime next week.

That's a full year of investigation, visitation, dealing, back-and-forth, blah, blah, blah...and I was persistent. Didn't fart around on this.

Let me tell you, this is not like buying a car or a house in the 'burbs. There are so many factors involved and things to consider for each individual offering. You have to understand not only the property you want to purchase but also take in to consideration the surrounding properties and what they have and how it impacts your location. For example, there was a nice 50 acre tract that I was looking at. Had everything I was looking for in terms of location and accessibility, water well, good soil...seemed like a bargain too for the price. So I get to investigating and using Google Maps found a Texas Department of Corrections holding facility 1/4 mile to the north. Complete with concertina wire, flood lights, etc. Believe me, that wasn't part of the property description flyer.

Anyhow, my point here is that in order to find the right acreage, you gotta do your homework and it takes a lot of homework - at least for me it did.

That's a good point vox that you and DCFusor make: it takes time to fin the right piece of land.

That land I bought and held for several years in Goliad County (TX) had a 1-acre stocked pond, was remote, mostly covered with live oak, fenced, nice compact shape, etc. also took me a long time to find.

That's a good point vox that you and DCFusor make: it takes time to fin the right piece of land.

Tru'nuff.

The big thing in the North Texas area is that you have to be careful with "production" on any land you buy. More often than not, the previous owners permitted oil/gas drilling on their land which means they gave permissive use to the O/G firm to tend to their pump jacks which means you got people on your land whenever they want. Not exactly ideal.

One other interesting situation I ran in to was with acreage that totally fit the bill for me. Remote, good fencing, looked excellent on paper. When I got out to the location to inspect and do a tour, I discovered that there was a County Road (CR) that ran through the entire length of the property diagonally. The CR was used by an OG firm to get to another location that they had equipment on. The CR was the only access the OG firm had. No compensation was provided by the OG firm because the CR was placed through the property and was considered "public land". Not in the flyer description for sure.

Do.
Your.
Homework.

Hope the deal goes through Vox.

Trouble with this kind of property search, is that the stuff being offered for sale almost never ticks all the boxes, or its too high a price.

Sometimes youve got to accept some negatives or it becomes a lifelong search.

I would not be too concerned about some low key oil extraction, in fact in a SHTF situation there could be benefit, or a county road, depending on if its a fully paved highway for anyone to use or a dirt road to a pump location. ( County road means the former in the UK)
Once youve got your digger you have some control over future users (-:

But you are right about the Texas Department of Corrections holding facility )-:

Think an assessment of the neighbours is probably the most important part of the job.

Back
Top Bottom