Bitcoin Banned in Thailand

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Wow... if that's true and not just a rumor, then a bunch of Thai people must be getting rid of their bitcoins... transforming them into real money or buying things with them.

I wonder what way they have out of this? Since it's already illegal, I am wondering what the big holders can do with them? If they start selling them or buying something with them, they're doing something illegal...

At least PM's are not illegal... for now!

Terrible... but I never trusted bitcoin from the start. It's a digital fiat currency.

Can't have any competition for the good old Baht now can we?

That's just my two Satang worth. ;-)

Terrible... but I never trusted bitcoin from the start. It's a digital fiat currency.

Agreed, I wouldn't touch bitcoin with a 10ft ehternet cable. There is absolutely nothing stopping the .gov from hitting a few keystrokes and making bitcoin disappear.

That said, while I would never store my own purchasing power in bitcoin, I have no problem with those who do and actually encourage currency competition.

So, I like the fact that bitcoin does exist as it is one of the many currencies we would be able to choose from if we had the desperately needed HR 1098 Free Competition in Currencies.

It's a digital fiat currency.

no it isn't. It is PURELY supply/demand kind of currency, as such, it is the EXACT OPPOSITE of government fiat currency.

It would be extremely difficult to enforce any of these regulations, if people were really behind Bitcoins in Thailand. Of course "They" can make it illegal - just like they can declare holding, buying, selling and exchanging other goods for precious metals illegal, at any given time.

Question remains about possibility to enforce such a king's decree. I daresay, enforcing precious metals ban would be technically a whole lot easier, than enforcing Bitcoins ban.

EDIT: That's not to say, that enforcing PMs ban would be easy, or even practical to enforce :)

Last edited:
Surely Thai nationals will be discarding their Bitcoins now. I wonder if they can just share it to others. Let's cross our fingers guys! Just read BitcoinDaily news and it seems that China is also against Bitcoin mania.

Sure thing Thailand will be surprised about the major hike in bitcoin price. Bitcoins are highly specualtive mainly becuase it's unregulated and volatile.

Back
Top Bottom