Precious Metals Forum

Go Back   Precious Metals Forum > Precious Metals and Economic News > Fiat Ponzi

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By ancona
  • 2 Post By PMBug
  • 2 Post By DSAbug
  • 1 Post By swissaustrian
  • 2 Post By DSAbug

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2011, 09:24 AM   #1
vox
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 65 times
Fitch Again Warns US Debt Burden Threatens AAA Rating

http://www.cnbc.com/id/45761637

Quote :
"The high and rising federal and general government debt burden is not consistent with the U.S. retaining its 'AAA' status despite its other fundamental sovereign credit strengths," the ratings agency said.
vox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 1233 times
ZH pointed out that we did just cross the 100% debt/gdp ratio the other day, even without considering unfunded mandates. Something's gotta give, but so far this has been like watching grass grow...
DCFusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 2046 times
Go ahead and downgrade already. We deserve it.
Silver_Bug likes this.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #4
Golden Cockroach

Liked: 2456 times
The loss of AAA ratings by Fitch, et. al. in addition to the unilateral downgrade by S&P a while back, will force financial institutions to accept/recognize the loss of AAA status. This will in turn affect a lot of pension and hedge funds that require investments in AAA rated vehicles - causing them to dump Treasuries.
swissaustrian and Silver_Bug like this.

Important stuff: PMBug 101 * Forum Guidelines * Support PMBug
PMBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:08 AM   #5

Liked: 459 times
Originally Posted by PMBug View Post:
The loss of AAA ratings by Fitch, et. al. in addition to the unilateral downgrade by S&P a while back, will force financial institutions to accept/recognize the loss of AAA status. This will in turn affect a lot of pension and hedge funds that require investments in AAA rated vehicles - causing them to dump Treasuries.
Pensions and funds that require AAA ratings are going to start running out of assets they can own. I'm not really sure what will happen once treasuries start falling. The market could get pretty crazy pretty fast.

Unless someone else steps up to the plate and downgrades ahead of the election, Fitch is giving the US one year to get ahead of this.
DSAbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 925 times
Originally Posted by dereksatkinson View Post:
Pensions and funds that require AAA ratings are going to start running out of assets they can own. I'm not really sure what will happen once treasuries start falling. The market could get pretty crazy pretty fast.

Unless someone else steps up to the plate and downgrades ahead of the election, Fitch is giving the US one year to get ahead of this.
Treasuries have been in a bull market since 1981. This long term cycle is coming to an end anyway.
Richard Homer´s book "A history of interest rates" describes this brilliantly. Bonds tend to have ~ 30 year bull/bear cycles. It´s time for a bear market in bonds.
I hold a small 3x short position in 10 years through an ETF. I don´t expect a crash to happen tomorrow, but once it starts all hell will breake loose.
Silver_Bug likes this.
swissaustrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #7

Liked: 459 times
Originally Posted by swissaustrian View Post:
I don´t expect a crash to happen tomorrow, but once it starts all hell will breake loose.
The fact that treasuries are able to be sold with yields this lows baffles me. I guess i'm just crazy for not wanting to lend our government money at negative real interest rates.
DSAbug is offline   Reply With Quote