Mish: Has Ambrose Evans-Pritchard Lost His Mind?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
This would be funny if it weren't so serious:
The question of the day is "Has Ambrose Evans-Pritchard Lost His Mind?" The reason I ask stems from his post on The Telegraph "You are all wrong, printing money can halt Europe's crisis"

More: http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2011/12/has-ambrose-evans-pritchard-lost-his.html

As a hedge fund analyst I know* once told me:
For those of you who don't know, Ambrose Evans-Pritchard is deeply connected with the British political establishment. Many of his articles are unofficial position papers from that establishment.

*know = internets acquaintance

I agree with above a complete troll of the city of London..but he used to be good..now working for very Anti-European..newspaper.the uk is being marginalized as the Germans and French regroup to create a tier 2 eurozone which only includes the 17 countries using the euro and creates a tarrif against countries in Europe like the uk who have their own currencies but are not part of the euro.

At some point they either need to get a fiscal union or end the Euro. The current structure is clearly not working.

Mish posted a follow up on AEP - a conversation that he had with AEP directly:
I took Ambrose Evans-Pritchard to task twice recently, primarily for making monetary proposals claiming central banks could print their way out of this economic mess but also for unwarranted attacks on Germany.
Mish: ...
The idea the Euro is a German hatched plot to control Europe is patently false. Most German citizens (though unfortunately not all German politicians were extremely leery of a fiscal union and loss of sovereignty which is precisely why they insisted on a set of exact controls in the Maastricht Treaty to prevent the formation of a fiscal transfer union.

Pritchard: That is what monetary union always meant and means now, though the trick being played on Europe’s citizens was fudged by dishonest treaties, themselves dishonestly ratified.

It is why so many of us on this side of the Ärmelkanal have fought tooth and nail for twenty years to stop Britain being subsumed into this plaything of unaccountable elites, this Project so profoundly threatening to our self-government and constitutional order.

Mish: "dishonest treaties, themselves dishonestly ratified"

Hello Ambrose - you are 100% correct. So why the hell did you throw that all away with two recent articles? How about taking them back, right here, right now?

Ambrose: But this is where Germany now is. It must either immolate itself and dismantle the Bismarckian state for the cause of EMU, or prepare to finance an orderly withdrawal from monetary union (with the Finns, Dutch, and Austrians) so that the South can breathe again and hope to recover.

That is the choice. All else is can-kicking, denial, obfuscation, muddle, and self-delusion. As is now becoming obvious, the failure to resolve the matter one way or the other is becoming a danger to the global financial system. It threatens to uncork a global depression. Germany must at last decide.

It is a horrible choice. My sympathies go to the German people who were never given a vote on this ensnarement and infeudation of their peaceful country, and who were egregiously deceived by their own leaders, and who cannot now begin to understand why they suddenly are target of such furious and venomous global criticism.

The Germans too are victims of this ruinous project, the greatest victims of all. Their elites have led them into a diplomatic and economic Stalingrad.

Mish: Exactly!

All else, including Pritchard's horrendous idea You are all wrong, printing money can halt Europe's crisis is an exercise in can-kicking!

Ambrose, we both know Germany is going to pay a price. Indeed every country in Europe is going to pay a price, even the UK.

The idea is to make that price as small as possible. To do that we need an orderly (as orderly as possible) breakup of the EMU. The UK can help.

More: http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2011/12/after-two-horrendous-articles-ambrose.html

Interesting. I do not necessarily agree with Mish a lot of the time, but he has his moments of prescience. AEP has, in my eyes, lost a good deal of his credibility in some arenas. While he is in fact, an insider to some degree, one has to wonder who his sources are and how they are vetted.

Back
Top Bottom