Precious Metals Forum

Go Back   Precious Metals Forum > Precious Metals and Economic News > Fiat Ponzi

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By PMBug
  • 1 Post By rblong2us

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Liked: 685 times
Puerto Rico in trouble of default

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-0...ely-ft-reports

the FT reported moments ago that a Puerto Rico default "appears increasingly likely"

"Puerto Rico cannot really raise taxes much more, since the debt per capita is more than $14,000, while income per capita is almost $17,000, a ratio – at 83 per cent – that makes California, Illinois or New York – each at 6 per cent – models of prudence. Meanwhile, at 14 per cent, the unemployment rate is twice the national average."

Never free.

PMBug 101 *** Forum Rules
benjamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:25 PM   #2
Jay
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 671 times
Puerto Rico is a different world. Was taken there for two years after my mom shot herself, (I was six); have fond memories of fighting for my lunch money each day. I think the tropical atmosphere is why I like the Philippines so much.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:12 PM   #3
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 2046 times
Since we were asked [translation: Told to leave] the island of Vieques by Puerto Rico, we also decided to leave Roosevelt Roads because Vieques was the only real reason to have a base there in the first place. Doing so wiped away a huge percentage of Puerto Ricos income.

I have been all over that rock and will never go back. There are several very nice highlights, as can nearly always be expected in the Caribbean, but in general the place is a hellhole of violence and general hatred of Americans. We were constantly warned not to travel outside of the tourist areas and never go anywhere alone.

For a country that is ENTIRELY beholden to the USA for their very existence, PR has become pretty damn big for their britches so to speak. I say give them independence and let's just watch what happens. The population will immediately outstrip the islands carrying capacity and devolve in to a Hati-like vassal state with the first benefactor to stumble along.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:38 PM   #4
Golden Cockroach

Liked: 2454 times
It will be interesting to see how a bankruptcy there might affect the banking system.
ancona and rblong2us like this.

Important stuff: PMBug 101 * Forum Guidelines * Support PMBug
PMBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:42 PM   #5
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 880 times
Originally Posted by PMBug View Post:
It will be interesting to see how a bankruptcy there might affect the banking system.
you can be sure there will not be a 'default event' declared in any deritave product that goes bad

and that no one will loose out because the first $x of everyones bank account are guaranteed ......

I reckon that if a problem is forseeable 'they' will deal with it.

We are waiting for that unforseeable event
Old 01-22-2014, 04:10 PM   #6
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 2046 times
I wouldn't bet any money on that Rblong. Puerto Rico is the red headed step-child of the United States, but it is also a huge expense for us. PR gets more in the form of subsidies for businesses, welfare and food stamps for the people than anywhere else. With these, and a long list of other dollar pits to fill, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Obama decided to let them figure this one out for themselves. Have you seen any appointments made by Obama that were Puerto Rican? Didn't think so.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:25 PM   #7
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 880 times
Agree Ancona.

If hopey changey could cut em loose without it causing the fiat system any major repercussions, he would do it even though there might be ethnically similar folk to him that get hurt.

Its not a big deal to print a few more bennies if its necessary to keep the show on the road so I contend that any forseeable event that has the potential to destabilise will be 'fixed'
ancona likes this.