US debt in perspective

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

dontdeBasemebro

Big Eyed Bug
Reaction score
I ran some calculations recently to put thing in perspective:

Take the average thickness of a paper dollar to be 0.1mm. I found this value as a fairly common thickness of paper according to the internet.

The moon at apogee (the farthest away from the earth) is 405,410 km according to wikipedia.

If you were to print off $15T in $1 and stack them like a deck of cards that stack would be 15000000000000 mm tall, or 15000000 km.

From this you could create 37 separate stacks of bills that would each reach the moon.

The circumference of the earth is 40075 km, again from wikipedia. The dollar bill is 156 mm wide (its largest dimension).

$15T one dollar bills, laid end to end, would be 2340000000 km long, enough to encircle the earth's equator 58390.5 times.

If you were to drive around the earth in your car 58390.5 times at an average speed of 70 mph non-stop, it would take you 2385 years to finish.

I could keep going...

:flail:

Last edited:
I remember watching this when I was young:

[ame="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xx0cp_tyrannosaurus-debt_fun"]Tyrannosaurus Debt - Video Dailymotion[/ame]

Back
Top Bottom