US forever stamps as an alternative "currency"

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

swissaustrian

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
Just read about this interesting inflation "hedge":
Forever Stamps - What Are Forever Stamps?
2007forever300dpi_s.jpg

Forever Stamps are first-class stamps issued by the United States Postal Service. What makes them special is that you can buy them at the current first-class postage rate, and they remain valid even if that rate rises in the future.

If you assume postal rates will always rise and never sink, then Forever Stamps are a good investment. :wave:

If you enter mail-in sweepstakes, buying Forever Stamps can protect you from the additional risk associated with rising postage stamps.

Forever Stamps can be purchased from the United States Postal Service at your local post office, online, or by telephone.

The Canadian Post offers a similar product, the Permanent Stamp.
http://contests.about.com/od/f/g/foreverstamps.htm

Seems to be a great investment:
postage3.gif

Last edited:
Not sure how you trade/convert the stamps should you want to unlock the value of your investment in those stamps. I'm not aware of a large/liquid secondary market for them.

Not sure how you trade/convert the stamps should you want to unlock the value of your investment in those stamps. I'm not aware of a large/liquid secondary market for them.
That's what I've asked myself, too. The USPS is probably not going to buy them back at "market" value. But who knows, maybe they are :paperbag:

Bwahahahyaha.....Isn't that how Charles Ponzi defrauded all those people in his postal scam??

Bwahahahyaha.....Isn't that how Charles Ponzi defrauded all those people in his postal scam??
He promised returns on stamp investments that he couldn't deliver. In our case the returns are historically prooven (see the chart in the op).

when ever there is a break in postage stamps trump the booze!

HA!!

Back
Top Bottom