Precious Metals Forum

Go Back   Precious Metals Forum > Bunker Talk > BSTS

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2016, 09:48 PM   #1
Ground Beetle

Liked: 498 times
Question Annealing brass cases

I've now got a couple 300 blackouts and of course the ammo ain't cheap so I've dusted off my reloading equipment. Looking around it appears most brass for sale is not factory made ammo but home made stuff cut down from the .223/5.56 case. I ordered a batch and paid the extra for the annealing. While going through all my piles of .223/5.56 brass I noticed a lot have dents around the neck and shoulder area which isn't a huge deal, depending on how bad it is. That being said it got me to thinking that if I made my own 300BLK brass, those areas would be cut off anyway. So I know I would want to anneal it and was looking into ways to do large batches easily, one of the things I found was the $250 toy seen here.
The thing I'm wondering is that it seems they've cut the brass, formed it and are then annealing it. Wouldn't it make more sense to anneal it after cutting it, but BEFORE the initial forming? I am not a metallurgist, but I often like to play one in my gun room. I know there are some people on here that do a lot of that sort of stuff and can maybe explain why you wouldn't anneal it before forming, or if you should as I suspect do it before you re-form the brass.

Last edited by 11C1P; 08-12-2016 at 09:54 PM.
11C1P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:07 AM   #2
Golden Cockroach

Liked: 2437 times
Haven't seen DCFusor around in a while, but he'd be the one to ask. Might try sending him a PM.

Important stuff: PMBug 101 * Forum Guidelines * Support PMBug
PMBug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:44 PM   #3
Ground Beetle

I'm not in a hurry for the info, even if I did buy that toy, it would be after new years, if anything related to guns is even allowed after hilly's looming presidency.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:30 AM   #4
Ground Beetle

My local scheels had a bag of 250 .300BLK brass converted from once fired military for $45 or 18 cents/case, which is pretty good especially since it was already punched, sized (most of it) and cleaned. It doesn't appear to have been annealed though, and I already had a couple of the necks crack on the ones that hadn't been trimmed yet when I tried trimming them down. I still really want the toy though!